Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22rf subsonic Ammo for semi-autos - what do you use?

.22rf subsonic Ammo for semi-autos - what do you use?

Gents,

I recently acquired a rather nice Theoben AMT Lightening Target Model (Ruger 10/22 clone in Stainless) and was getting good accuracy with my usual Eley subs, although getting more than my fair share of jams with the standard 10/22 mags - mostly down to light strikes. I changed the hammer spring for a high power one and tried the Eleys with my 25rnd Banana mag but still too many jams. Then I switched to an old box of RWS subs with the 25rnd Banana mag and bingo!! The jamming stopped and she fired the whole box without an issue, but the groups opened right up from 1/2" to around an inch at 50yds!

The rifle was supposedly made to run on Lapua Pistol Match, which are proving hard to find so I was wondering what subsonic ammo you fine gents were using in your semi's in order to achieve good reliabilty and accuracy? I dont mind using solids as if I use her for bunnies it will be head-shots only, so I dont suppose it will matter. Any suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Dodder; 08-03-2013 at 08:46.

I use win subs in my 10/22 which seem pretty good but it will still fail to cycle very occasionally, but it never gets cleaned or any attention at all so it is probably mostly my fault

I did try some SK subsonic which was excellent and didn't have a single hiccup with but I think it was quite pricey

My tuned 10/22 cycles fine on win subs, SK (good accuracy) and for pilnking I use Blaser HV. Not had one blaser jam or misfire yet in about 3000 rounds and they are only 27 a brick of 500!

Account Suspended
    Once the new rifle had a few 1000 through her, it may ease up on the temprement. As a rule use hv ammo for semi's . especially american manufacturers. I tried a 10/22 with no luck, until it had been heavily modified with quality parts.

Winchester subsonics for me too.

win subs with the occasional FTF, usually down to the bulidup of crud around the front of the slider

Thanks guys, I must admit that in my Sako Finnfire I have always used Eley as they were always more accurate than the Winnies (maybe something to do with the bucket like hole in the front!), but I will give them a go in the AMT - anyone use match solids? I've spoken to another AMT owner who runs CCI subs so perhaps I'll give them a go as well.

Hi, I use cci subs in my Ruger 10/22, it suits my rifle well .... recently picked up some cheap Remington the other week which cycled well as well.
    Keep searching, the right ones for your rifle are out there somewhere .....

I used winnie subs in my tuned 10/22 because they were more reliable than the eley subs that had the edge in accuracy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodder View Post
    Thanks guys, I must admit that in my Sako Finnfire I have always used Eley as they were always more accurate than the Winnies (maybe something to do with the bucket like hole in the front!), but I will give them a go in the AMT - anyone use match solids? I've spoken to another AMT owner who runs CCI subs so perhaps I'll give them a go as well.
    Cci subsonic Lr hp cycle a treat in mine, a mate swears by Aguila solid standard velocity at 22/500 and they are accurate, but I had a few stove pipes with them, and the subs were awful in mine, but it's completely standard bar a rm trigger pack and the recoil spring/charging handle is rough as ar***oles till my new one turns up to smooth things out a bit.