Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing Cases : 308 to 7mm 08

Resizing Cases : 308 to 7mm 08

Hi there,

Ive just been given 50 lapua 308 cases .. im toying with the idea of trying to resize the cases now be gentle this is a novice trying to widen his knowledge base lol. any help will be appreciated

johnnie

When I went down this route, just resizing gave me overpressure early on with loads as the neck wall was too thick. I ended up having to neck turn but in the end I get great results. I've read recently that .308 gives shorter necks which may wear out the throat quicker but I'm not sure or particularly worried.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by luder View Post
    Hi there,

Ive just been given 50 lapua 308 cases .. im toying with the idea of trying to resize the cases now be gentle this is a novice trying to widen his knowledge base lol. any help will be appreciated

johnnie
    the problem with necking down any cartridge is that you will get brass migration plus thick case walls,to do the job correctly you will have to neck turn,its just not worth it unless you have to make brass to fit your chamber,

What what whats this thread about? you guys talking about resizing or something. Think I've hypnotised myself

Been here for 5 minutes, only now typing...
    Yes, you can resize down to the 7mm. Whether you'll get away without turning the neck will depend on your chamber but you'll likely have an awful lot of neck tension if you don't.
    You'll still likely get a lot of donuts and reduced brass life.

My tuppence would be to spring for the 7mm-08 brass. I'm a fan of case heads saying what they mean - a 7mm-08 getting loaded and shunted down a .308 is all to easy... :-)

This answer could take a long time!

All I see mentioned regards the sizing down is neck turning. Hmmm well i have never found it needed as yet. I would also be more inclined to ream rather than turn.

My experience in necking down is mainly with the 6.5x53R or .256 Rigby cartridge. These i made from new R.P .303 British brass . Firstly I pushed the shoulder back using a 308 Win die, then sized to 7mm in the 7x57 and trimmed off excess length then into the 6.5x55 and finally the 6.5x54MS die (the 6.5x54 is the rimless version of the 6.5x53R).

I just used what i had on hand and doing it in stages meant more gentle working of the brass so I didn't need to anneal.

That was a lot more moving of the the brass than just sizing .308 down to 7-08. Have also sized down 30-06 to .280 rem and even 270 Win to see how it worked. none needed reaming or neck turning.

Luder,

I did exactly what you are thinking of - resized 100 x .308 lapua cases down to 7mm-08 using a normal 7mm-08 resizing die. To avoid getting a stuck case the trick is to use a suitable lubricant for the resizing process and I used Imperial Sizing Die Wax applied very sparingly with no problems. I have absolutely no problems with my brass and I am on the fifth round of reloading them.

Karl

Hi,
    I ran .308 lapua cases through a .243 die because I had no quality .243 cases.
    Had to turn the necks because the loaded round was too big a diameter at the neck.
    I found that with new cases there was a percentage that would collapse but once fired cases sized down easily!
    For some reason these cases make more accurate rounds than the standard .243 cases!

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    the problem with necking down any cartridge is that you will get brass migration plus thick case walls,to do the job correctly you will have to neck turn,its just not worth it unless you have to make brass to fit your chamber,
    Just a thought after following a more recent thread on crimping. The lee neck sizing die uses a collet to compress the neck of the case, rather than a conventional die which pushes the case through a bush and swages it down to size, as stated the swaging type dies cause short necks and doghnuts because the brass is also pushed backwards towards the shoulder at the same time as shrinking the neck down.
    Has anyone tried using the lee die to reform 308 cases to any of the smaller calibers and does it still cause the same problems with short necks and doghnuts?
    dcg