Smoke

Ballibeg

The advice to me when I purchased my T8 was to spray the inside with WD40 after use and to be generous. Now I'm a Scot and not that generous but I do give it a good squirt and roll.

Now I find that I can't see the strike as my view is obliterated by smoke from the silencer.

So how can I protect the T* and see the strike??? What do you folk do...

Ta,

Dave

I never spray mine. Think your advice was not based on practical experience and no wonder yours smokes!

If I've fired more than one shot on an outing, I take mine off when home and let it dry out over a radiator overnight and replace it on the rifle when cooled down to room temperature. (not a good idea to put it back when it's still warm in case you get condensation forming in the moderator or the covered part of the barrel).
I find that firing just one shot does not appear to generate significant moisture so I just leave it on the rifle and give eveything a quick exterior wipe down with an 'oily rag'

Try Napier gun cleaner & lubricant (it comes in a spray can) - it creates much less smoke than WD40. I've been using it for years and it works well.
Mole

The Mole said:
Try Napier gun cleaner & lubricant (it comes in a spray can) - it creates much less smoke than WD40. I've been using it for years and it works well.
Mole

That's the stuff I used to use. I'll go back top it.

Ta,

Dave

Your best bet is simply to remove it from your rifle and put it somewhere warm for a few hours , to evaporate the moisture inside.. then stick it on again,,, it should take very little oil to stop it rusting..
correct me if i am wrong ,, I remember hearing somewhere that oil such as WD 40 when pressurised in a moderator or barrell can have a diesel effect and ignites , altering your zero???

McStalk said:
I remember hearing somewhere that oil such as WD 40 when pressurised in a moderator or barrel can have a diesel effect and ignites , altering your zero???

Now logic tells me there could be something in that. Looks like I'll be using the hairdryer to get some warm air into the mod post use. I used to leave it out in the airing cupboard but got warned off that as it had to be in the safe.

Dave

The airing cupboard is an excellent place to keep it, no problems with that.
In most houses it's normally only the wife that knows where the airing cupboard is :)

McStalk said:
I remember hearing somewhere that oil such as WD 40 when pressurised in a moderator or barrell can have a diesel effect and ignites , altering your zero???

Pressurised in a barrel by the bullet, any traces of oil will affect zero, hence the need to shoot with a dry barrel.
As there is no contact between the bullet and inside of the moderator any effects will be caused by the explosive gases after the bullet has left the barrel, so I can't see any problems there.

EMcC said:
The airing cupboard is an excellent place to keep it, no problems with that.
In most houses it's normally only the wife that knows where the airing cupboard is :)

What's an airing cupboard? :confused:

Hi ballibeg

I use to spray the inside of my T8 with WD but always pulled it through with a clean patch after and left it outside the gun cabinet to dry..

Terry

009 from an aerosol can is an alternative, or rather was. It seems even this vestige of the British gun trade has now been consigned to the skip of history. No doubt other brands will serve the same purpose but the shooting world will be a sadder place for the absence of PH's original jungle juice.

:cry:

Powerful smoke though if used in a moderator!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop using WD40 in your moderator.

I used to work for Rolls-Royce Aero and the stuff is banned from the plants. It can react chemically with metals and specifically welds to create fast fractures.

If you must use a lub then try an aerosol oil like Legia from Browning

scotsgun said:
Stop using WD40 in your moderator.

I used to work for Rolls-Royce Aero and the stuff is banned from the plants. It can react chemically with metals and specifically welds to create fast fractures.

If you must use a lub then try an aerosol oil like Legia from Browning

You learn something every day, I have been using the stuff for years!!
Good to know

Concur with scotsgun re. WD40.

A gunsmith friend regularly advises against its use on all types of firearms.

Iwrch
009 from an aerosol can is an alternative, or rather was. It seems even this vestige of the British gun trade has now been consigned to the skip of history. No doubt other brands will serve the same purpose but the shooting world will be a sadder place for the absence of PH's original jungle juice.
As far as I know John Rothery has purchased the P.H brand and still makes 009.
I have also been told by an electrician, WD melts solder. He has stopped using it.
Paul

Oil

I do not normally oil my mod,after seeing recent thread,on damp patchs on a T8,what do you guys recon to V80 oil,Regards Tone,,

Couple of things:

WD40 i was told is part water (maybe a very small part) but never the less in a mod under pressure is going to do more harm than good - so l was told by Jacksons. Also like you say it leaves residue which smokes etc - bullet travels to fast for it to affect its path (as said above bullet would never touch the baffles to be affected unlike if you oiled the inside of a barrel).

Second thing - Iwrch - 009 is still available mate - google it! I have some in liquid and spray (bloody expensive though).

I take off my T8 after shooting - EVERY TIME - and leave it separate from the gun whilst its locked away - after being on the range Sunday - l simply took it off the gun - and stood it upright in a normal room - then leave it off on top of the cabinet - My Browning rusted like a bitch when l left it on - even after cleaning and oiling the barrel and it cooling down separately. Maybe just Brownings?/

Another thing if you have a cover on the T8 and you then go out and Zero- and really warm it up - take the cover off - or it'll shrink it! - My .308 cover shrunk loads!

T

I always use WD40 and then wipe the outside and leave on the radiator until the next day, it doesnt smoke, and Mine is now 7 years old so I must be doing something right!

Back