Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC and Mandatory Testing

BASC and Mandatory Testing

David why is it that BASC and BDS say they are against mandatory testing when the reality is that they voted for it on the deer panels they are on in Scotland.
    BASC say they are for the voluntary testing but that is not really the full truth .The truth is that BASC support the mandatory competency set by the Scottish government as long as they the voluntary sector deliver it. Or have i got this deal wrong some were along the line. Please explain.!!!

Are you still waiting?

BASC (or any organisation, not to be picking on just one) looking for it to be mandatory to take their voluntary tests...what a surprise.

It is important to understand that BASC is absolutely opposed to compulsory testing as a condition of firearm or shotgun ownership. However people who are new to the sport must accept that the onus is on them to develop the knowledge and skill to use a shotgun or firearm safely, this could be through being ‘mentored’ by a more experienced shooter for a while to ‘show you the ropes’ or if this is not possible through a training course.

Of course I cannot speak for the BDS, so please contact them directly if they do not have a rep on here.

Exactly which ‘deer panels’ are you talking about? If you sit on the same then you have the minutes of the meetings, or are you relying on 2nd hand news?

David

Does it matter - really? Examination only is circa £150. Lasts forever.

There are lots of things you need a piece of paper to do these days, personally I have no issues if it was made compulsory for solo stalking. As stalkers it would show we are a sensible, self regulating bunch if we all went and got the bit of paper.

In the grand scheme of ammo, fuel, guns, scopes, clothes, useless gadgets, outing fees, kill fees, new sticks, telescopic highseat, sheath, knives etc etc £150 is nothing. If you genuinely are hard up and can't afford it apply for the SD scheme! If you really can't afford £150 I'd say you probably cannot afford to stalk.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Carefully chosen words David but our European friends largely see the idea of guns for hunting before qualification as nuts....

Is BASC against compulsary testing, training or formal certification prior to the issue of a FAC/SGC that then allows the holder to then freely hunt all of the UK quarry on offer ie, deer, boar etc?. Or is BASC just against it as just 'a condition' of gun ownership to take part in target and sporting competition shooting?

It's really easy to hide behind misleading language...

Good political reply David and why most Scottish guys now don't subscribe to BASC.
    With regards second hand news that could only be said if my statements were not true.?

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    David why is it that BASC and BDS say they are against mandatory testing when the reality is that they voted for it on the deer panels they are on in Scotland.
    BASC say they are for the voluntary testing but that is not really the full truth .The truth is that BASC support the mandatory competency set by the Scottish government as long as they the voluntary sector deliver it. Or have i got this deal wrong some were along the line. Please explain.!!!
    its not really voluntary over here either in n.ireland but the fao expects it now so i guess wee just hada do it done mine a few weeks ago at a cost of 295 but also learnt alot of stuff about the law wich i didnt no before hand

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    It is important to understand that BASC is absolutely opposed to compulsory testing as a condition of firearm or shotgun ownership. However people who are new to the sport must accept that the onus is on them to develop the knowledge and skill to use a shotgun or firearm safely, this could be through being ‘mentored’ by a more experienced shooter for a while to ‘show you the ropes’ or if this is not possible through a training course.

Of course I cannot speak for the BDS, so please contact them directly if they do not have a rep on here.

Exactly which ‘deer panels’ are you talking about? If you sit on the same then you have the minutes of the meetings, or are you relying on 2nd hand news?

David
    What would being a Mentor entail?
    Who would choose your mentor,you or your issuing force?
    Is a mentor condition a legal condition?
    What happens in terms of my liability as a mentor if the person i am mentoring accidentally shoots someone,do i loose my firearms/ticket whilst investigations are undertaken?
    Could i set myself up as a proffesional mentor and charge newbies to take them out?
    Would i need a condition on my ticket to mentor someone?
    Would i need to be assessed by my issuing force before i could mentor someone?
    Would i need to have the same level of insurance/qualifications as say a shooting school coach?
    David,as a basc member, could you clarify the BASC's position on these questions please?

Regards

Tikkat3

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    its not really voluntary over here either in n.ireland but the fao expects it now so i guess wee just hada do it done mine a few weeks ago at a cost of 295 but also learnt alot of stuff about the law wich i didnt no before hand
    surprised they [basc] didn,t try to talk you in to doing the rifle coarse, when i did level 1 the basc guy was making a big push on it.