Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300WM or 300 WSM?

300WM or 300 WSM?

Hi guys what are your thoughts on 300 win mag vs or 300 win short mag? I have looked at the ballistics and they are more or less the same.

What would you buy given the choise? pros and cons please

Regards Multiman

short mag sounds wussy.... Win mag sounds like a man calibre

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    short mag sounds wussy.... Win mag sounds like a man calibre
    Paul PMSL

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    I used a 300WSM on a sika stag last year and just this week I used my 300WM for this bloke below.

Never mind either calibre,the game cant tell the difference and contrary to owners of both calibres there is bugger all in performance,perhaps re barrelling or reloading there may be and in that case the WM is the one!

Same rifle below pre MWO.

Last edited by johngryphon; 08-03-2013 at 23:23.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

300 Win Mag.
    Components are easily had and will continue to be so.~Muir

I've had the 300 WIN MAG , 300 Weatherby , 300 SAUM and the 300 WSM . At the moment I still own a 300 WIN MAG and a 300 Weatherby .

The 300 SAUM and 300 WSM are nothing more then a hot 30-06 . It's been my experience that the 300 WIN MAG and 300 Weatherby easily exceed the WSM or SAUM .

Now with that being said I've killed about a dozen or so deer with a Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 300 SAUM and it did a wonderfull job .

The 300 WIN MAG and Weatherby can be loaded down to the same as the short action ones but the short action ones cannot be loaded up to equal the bigger boys !

My 30 cal rankings are like this as far as shear power and velocity are concerned ,

1.30-378 and 300 Ultra Mag

2. 300 WIN MAG , 300 Weatherby

3. 300 H&H MAG

4. 30-06 , 300 WSM and 300 SAUM

5. 308 WIN and 300 Savage

Of the thirtys i have only experience of the .30 Wetherby mag , .30 RUM, .308 so really irrelevant to your post. Im certainly no ballistic guru but will share what i have found in the field with my super magnum should if you ever go down that route, bullet choice is key i have yet to find one that dosn't create massive meat damage on light bodied deer.
    Im pulling my hair out as i love the accuracy and flat shooting of my ultra magnum up to now iv tried sst's bt's accubonds partitions all have had the same effect un acceptable meat damage.
    After advice im going to try barnes tsx although of the above offerings i have found accubonds quick killing and stiff medicine for lowland reds but at super mag velocitys nearing mid 3000's efficient on light deer they are not.

I'd go for .300 Win Mag. Quite popular here sur le continent. You do see the WSM chamberings but not with the frequency of the .300 Win Mag. Also if you look at a dealer's shelves for ammo, .300 WM appears from several manufacturers in several weights and loadings. You don't really see the WSM stuff so much if at all.

ATB,

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    I'd go for .300 Win Mag. Quite popular here sur le continent. You do see the WSM chamberings but not with the frequency of the .300 Win Mag. Also if you look at a dealer's shelves for ammo, .300 WM appears from several manufacturers in several weights and loadings. You don't really see the WSM stuff so much if at all.

ATB,

Scrummy
    That was my thinking. I have seen a few rifles in 300wsm for sale cheeply, maybe there is a reson for that! If ammo is hard to come by it will be a problem.

Thanks for the comments guys keep them coming