Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is there no market for deer skins

Why is there no market for deer skins

Does anybody know of a market for skins. Everybody I know just throws them away unless they're particularly special. Even then it costs 36 per skin to get them tanned at a local tannery. What do you do with your skins?
    Last edited by Deerstalkermark; 08-03-2013 at 23:57. Reason: Spelling error
    Flogging will continue until morale improves

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalkermark View Post
    Does anybody know of a market for skins. Everybody I know just throws them away unless they're particularly special. Even then it costs 36 per skin to get them tanned at a local tannery. What do you do with your skins?
    We dealt in deer skins some 20 odd years ago, whilst it made us a bit of money, it was hard work, hassle and many miles and hours away from home.

The biggest problem back then - and still is - is the quality. Most Scottish Red deer skins were useless because of warble damage, there were many damaged during skinning - especially from the large game dealers. Cost of salt, storage and limited market etc. all took their toll.

most of the large tanners in Lancashire and Yorkshire have all packed up.

However, there is still a good - but small - market for well done skins, but its quite labour intensive to get them to the standard to sell.

Regards,

Mike.
    (Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

Hi Mike

There's a deerpark/estate not far from me. They cull about 200 menil fallow each season, all headshot and all skins, bar 1 or 2, go in a skip. It's crimminal but the head keeper said to me "if I knew of someone who'd take them it would at least save him the cost of a skip!!

Mark
    Flogging will continue until morale improves

If you go to sweden reindeer pelts are a national treasure. Sadly over here it is seen as the devils work.

Hi, I just wanted to congratulate you on raising a really good topic. Its a very true point that you make, I always think it a huge waste to throw the skins away, indeed I regrettably watched one I'd disposed of burn on the fire just yesterday.
    I do a little bit of leather work as I'm a furniture maker and joiner and would love to use Deer skins of my own acquisition for some of the lighter duty projects. Its a real waste to sling them away but there is nowhere that I know of in my area that can treat them. I'd love to know if anyone knows somewhere that does do them though ?
    A project that I have in mind is to use some Deer leather on rocking chair seats, also, rabbit fur on upholstered soft furnishings too !
    I read up on treating the skins myself a couple of years back, I decided it was too much effort for me and shelved the project. If I found a tannery that would just take them and give me back a good and usable product at the end of it I would use it. Maybe I'll have a search around for somewhere that's very good and send some off by post ?? ! Assuming that's allowed and possible.
    Another thing I just don't understand is the dogmatic approach many 'animal rites' extremists have towards fur ? They don't go around chucking paint on peoples leather shoes do they ? What's so bad about using all of the animal products that have been generated from the production of their salad and the wooden dining chair that they sit on ? Should the resultant carcases of all culled vermin and controlled species be buried out of shame and guilt ?
    I wonder how many tonnes of meat and leather and fur get wastefully disposed of in a ditch or on a fire every year because of the negative perception that has been formed about their use or consumption over the past 20 odd years.

Devonia do make an excellent job of tanning and the hides they have prepared for me have received positive comments however, nobody has been interested enough to want one.- even at cost price.

Still got a salted fallow hide in the freezer but tbh this year all hides are being "landfilled"

Snowdonia taxidermy supplies have some very reasonable kits to tan a deer sized skin

the only other things you need are salt, time and elbow grease!

Kevin McCloud (of Grand Designs fame) shot a sika (I think) and had the skin turned to leather for a chair... His point being that it was entirely sustainable. Maybe someone just needs to big up the green credentials?

http://www.barrheadleather.co.uk/

i drop the skins of for them quite often .

Would have thought any parasites on the deer would have made the skin fairly useless. I think ticks leave blemishes if you are wanting to make leather.