Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTA dispatch

RTA dispatch

Hi Guys..

If you attend an RTA and dispatch a beast, what then happens to said beast ?
    The reason i ask is, on the radio in the week a bloke said he does dispatch and then takes the beast to his mate, a butcher, has it butchered and keeps the meat !!.
    Is this right ?. He said he was an RSPCA approved dispatcher.

mark..

Quote Originally Posted by mag1 View Post
    Hi Guys..

The reason i ask is, on the radio in the week a bloke said he does dispatch and then takes the beast to his mate, a butcher, has it butchered and keeps the meat !!.

mark..
    i heard that on radio 2 as well. I'm afraid it's not legal to do that, the beast remains the property of the landowner (in this case likely to be the council if on,a public road). Also illegal to sell the carcass even of the landowner gives you permission to have it as you can fill the declaration in fully.

Quote Originally Posted by mag1 View Post
    Hi Guys..

mark..

I'd not go near a animal that I'd not had eyes on for at least 5 mins before I shot it! No idea of how it was moving/behaving, and I'm pretty sure that any game dealer would refuse if given an honest appraisal of how the beastie met it's maker.

As said, phone the council and they should dispose of the carcass

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi all. The Deer Iniative Best Practice Guide is very informative on this subject, available online I believe, though the hard copy in binder they provide is excellent.

Now a deer that is struck by a car and killed cannot go into the food chain - it has not been lawfully killed.

Strictly the cause of these deer's death was a gunshot wound/bullet to the head. It is acceptable for a trained hunter to take another's word that a deer was behaving normally ante-mortem. If the motorist confirmed that and then you came out and shot the deer technically it could go into the food chain (subject to usual checks etc).

The biggest issue is the ownership of the carcase. Without the owners permission you are poaching. No one is ever going to successfully prosecute anyone for a humanitarian act, but once you take that deer away then you are profiting from the situation.

The correct thing to do is to kill the deer and then contact the highways to collect the body. If the police are in attendance then they will usually do that for you. If the deer is on private land it belongs to that landowner.

Anything else and you are on very dodgy ground.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If the motorist confirmed that and then you came out and shot the deer technically it could go into the food chain (subject to usual checks etc).
    Thats interesting - I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the clarification.

I do quite a few RTC call outs and have several dos and donts
    1 safety first
    2 ensure police are there
    3 use safest method of dispach ,shotgun,knife,rimfire,deer legal rifle
    4 get some police marking tape attach to nearest bush/tree and ask them to get council to collect carcase it should never enter food chain
    5 carry FAC and copy of insurance.
    6 if the deer is mobile and on private land get police to find landowner and obtain permission if not you are breaking the law even with police attending.
    7 ensure you do not have an audiance get the police to stop traffic if nessecary and remove onlookers you can be sued for causing distress to others
    I know it can be a pain but there is nothing clever in being big man with gun if you get bad press

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It is acceptable for a trained hunter to take another's word that a deer was behaving normally ante-mortem. If the motorist confirmed that and then you came out and shot the deer technically it could go into the food chain (subject to usual checks etc).
    Sorry, but I'd not take anyone's word for how it was behaving before their bonnet was the last thing to go through it's mind... Even as a trained hunter, I'm pretty sure that I'd not be able to tell you what state it was in immediately before I hit it

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Unless the motorist has 'trained hunter' status, then he is not suitable to observe natural behaviour of a deer is he?! Deer flying over bonnet = unatural behaviour!
    If a humane dispatcher such as myself choose to eat the deer themselves, then they are entirely able to do so legally. I am cleared to remove the carcass from the scene and dispose of as i see fit. If I choose to eat it, then that is fine also. I could also give it away as long as I declared its origin. What I cannot do is sell it.
    MS

I didn't realise that the RSPCA were now responsible for approving those on the RTA dispatch list .