Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions please. Dexter the Teckel 1st track training

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Your opinions please. Dexter the Teckel 1st track training

Dexters 1st attempt at following a line.
    Please excuse my puffing and panting, and also my iphone video.
    Any pointers as to the direction of training would be of great help.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

My thoughts. It looks like you had the dog track backwards. You should have started at the shot site. Use a specific command to start tracking. When he lost the line you should have stopped him, picked him up and started from the last known point, the gate in this case. Don't drop the leash and allow him to free hunt and quarter to find the line.

Dexter knows what he's doing, good work, well done!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    When he lost the line you should have stopped him, picked him up and started from the last known point, the gate in this case.
    I had this as an afterthought.
    I freely admit that I'm newer to this tracking lark than Dexter. He at least has it in his blood
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Try thinking about it logically, shot, strike, track,find. Trust your dog but always no where the track goes when on training sessions. This will mean you can preempt problems and correct mistakes. Enjoy the training, well done!

teyhan well done and well done for asking . My advice would be to put sticks in the ground to mark your route and like Deerman says follow line from shot to beast.

Dexter looks super. My teckel, Trig(ger), is now just a year old and is progressing well. I just wonder what you have done with Dexter before putting him on shot deer? I found it well worth while with Trig to set out blood trails starting with a straight 50' or so and gradually extending the distance and introducing bends. In the latter case marking the change of direction with sticks as suggested by 6pointer. Always lay these trails running down wind so that he has to ground scent.

You can also tie a bit of liver or lung to string and then to the end of a stick so that it can be dragged along the ground away from your scent. This method can also be used with a bit of sponge dipped in blood and you can then introduce gaps in the trail. Always provide a reward at the end of the exercise preferably placed on or under some deer skin.

Great choice of breed - teckels are real characters and mine is now developing his own ways of telling me when deer are around, invariably before I've glassed them! The picture of Trig on the blog is at 9 months.

Deer Diary

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your replies so far.
    Being a head shot there was no "from shot to beast" as such. I really was a spur of the moment thing.
    I decided that the ground was to mucky to perform a full gralloch and as it was only a yearling I decided to drag it back to a more suitable area.
    As can be seen in the video it had bled out almost entirely at the shot site. It was only halfway to the area I had decided to gralloch that I thought 'I wonder if....'.
    The gralloch site had very little blood, almost like a shot site and I have no doubt that there was very little blood on the trail too.
    It really was as much about me learning what he does and the way he does it.
    Two things learned
    1. If he loses a track or gets distracted go back to where he had the track
    2. When he picks up a track he tends to turn (90 degrees) straight on to it.
    Thanks for your comments so far

Teyhan the shot site is what it is no matter if you head shoot a beast or haunch it. Nice wee dog and great to see you very keen but my feeling is this if you had wounded that deer would you have went to the shot site then .? I know the deer would not have run if hit hard in the head but a wee drag for a few hundred yards. then gralloch bag it all leave a treat eg head at Finnish go home have breakfast go back out with your long low dog and simulate a head shot gone wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Teyhan the shot site is what it is no matter if you head shoot a beast or haunch it. Nice wee dog and great to see you very keen but my feeling is this if you had wounded that deer would you have went to the shot site then .? I know the deer would not have run if hit hard in the head but a wee drag for a few hundred yards. then gralloch bag it all leave a treat eg head at Finnish go home have breakfast go back out with your long low dog and simulate a head shot gone wrong.
    Yep, good point.

I love this little fella, he seems to have his nose to the ground all the way , so I would say he knows more about. Hunting than you !! Lol, could you please post some more vid as you go along I would like to see him on his first
    shot, track , find, ect I phone vid looks fine to me