Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence titanium moderator

Lawrence titanium moderator

Hi guys i am thinking of purchasing one of these moderators as they dont require any maintenance and will have the same moderator to fit three of my rifles ie 22-250, 25-06 and the 300win mag. I currentley have t8's on both the 22-250 and 300win mag whilst they have a very good noise suppresion i find them far too muzzle heavy do you guys think that i am going in the right direction by fitting a titanium moderator has anyone have complaints of this firm?
    thank you all in advance and look forward to your replies on the matter

Tony

I bought one of these around a year ago, I am highly delighted with it.

Influencing factors in buying one were that I use the rifle for target shooting and testing reloads as well as stalking, I didn't want the weight of steel and I thought that an aluminium one would have a limited life due to gas cutting, I heard from somewhere that Ballistic Tips in particular make this problem worse.

I did discuss having a moderator that was suitable for mutiple calibres with Simon Lawrence but his advice was to have one that was calibre specific.

atb.Tim

I have supplied a number of Simon's moderators, the workmanship has always been superb and the strength to weight ratio is excellent. There have been no issues with regards to fit or their resilience in the field. Simon's committment to customer satisfaction is second to none.

I would say calibre specific is the way to go, these moderators are made to very high standards, why not ensure you get the best result.

Best regards.

Jon. (roestalker)

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

I have one specifically made for my 6.5x55 which is excellent. Simon shortened the barrel, recrowned it and fitted the mod all while I waited, and the result is a more accurate rifle than I started with. Highly recommended. Regards, Todhunter

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I bought one of these around a year ago, I am highly delighted with it.

Influencing factors in buying one were that I use the rifle for target shooting and testing reloads as well as stalking, I didn't want the weight of steel and I thought that an aluminium one would have a limited life due to gas cutting, I heard from somewhere that Ballistic Tips in particular make this problem worse.

I did discuss having a moderator that was suitable for mutiple calibres with Simon Lawrence but his advice was to have one that was calibre specific.

atb.Tim
    Good marketing that ! You could buy a few then lol

I have a LP mod and I am more than happy with it. Absolutely maintenance free.

I second all the above. Have one on my .300 winmag, as do 4 of my friends - up to .375 H and H.

Well made, tried and tested, and you can actually speak to the person making your mod, as they're here in the UK, not New Zealand or some other foriegn country.

Stay well away third rate mod with zero customer service it took a Notice before Action letter informing him of impending legal / Trading standards action to get a refund and even that was a post dated cheque!

I have all the evidence should any members require proof of the above.

Just had a look on his website and I got some questions for anybody with an engineering background?
    He says that he uses 3 types of non standard titanium. Now my experience is that you have to buy an awful lot of material before a mill will entertain the thought to supply you with a special. you would need to be looking at a furnace load at least. Anybody got any experience of how many tonnes he would need to buy? How big are furnaces at titanium mills?
    He uses aerospace thread gauges. I wasn't aware that there were different specs of guage. I thought every thread guage would need to meet a certain iso standard. Is there a separate standard for gauges in aerospace?
    And out of interest? What sort of money are his moderators. the website doesn't say (well I couldn't see it). How do they preform against, oh I dont know, a jet Z ultra which may be on my .223.
    The last question is not necessarily for the engineers
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Munty on here has at least two, I think he is whom Rutland Lad is referring to. to be fair Danpd also has a valid opinion as well. I hate the things but sometimes you need them. I have been TO Simon's workshop and he does know about threading. The titanium bit is up to you!