Thread: Nice to have Friends.

Nice to have Friends.

I was at the range this cold and blustery afternoon testing my old school seating depth techniques on my daughter's present and future 30-06 when a pickup truck came rattling down the dirt path driven by my friend Robbie K. He hops down from the cab and says "I thought you might be out here." and reaches back into the cab cab and pulls out an almost new Forrester Co Axial press. "Looking for one of these?"he asks. Indeed I was. He was at an estate sale/auction some distance away from town and this was on the docket for $100 US. I had just $2 in my pocket and he just waved me off. "Pay me whenever..." He put it in my car and started looking at my rifle and targets and started talking about his .338 shooting on his 2.4Km range. I drove out this evening and paid him for the press.

It was nice that he not only thought of me, but drove in from his farm to hand deliver the press. I'd have certainly made the trip out for that one. ~Muir

sounds great,I bet its a right laugh when you old timers get togeather to spin a few yarns over a jug of moonshine and smoke on the old home made pipe.
    Great price on the press,if you dont get on with it feel free to send it over to me I dont mind paying the postage costs on top of your $100

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    sounds great,I bet its a right laugh when you old timers get togeather to spin a few yarns over a jug of moonshine and smoke on the old home made pipe.
    Great price on the press,if you dont get on with it feel free to send it over to me I dont mind paying the postage costs on top of your $100
    Rob isn't that old but he's a 'hillbilly with too many guns and Internet access" like me. The boy can shoot though. He was testing some Hybrid1000 in his 6.5x284 last week and was getting 10 shot groups hovering around a half inch, prone, from a bipod. He shoots handgun almost as well as I do, too.

I'll keep you in mind for the press provided that, at my advanced age, still I have a mind to keep you in.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Rob isn't that old but he's a 'hillbilly with too many guns and Internet access" like me. The boy can shoot though. He was testing some Hybrid1000 in his 6.5x284 last week and was getting 10 shot groups hovering around a half inch, prone, from a bipod. He shoots handgun almost as well as I do, too.

I'll keep you in mind for the press provided that, at my advanced age, still I have a mind to keep you in.~Muir
    He has a nice hornet too if I remember correctly
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

You do. And he has a pretty wife to shoot it.~Muir

You'll like the Co-Ax!

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    You'll like the Co-Ax!
    Thanks. I used one years ago and I have one in storage... far away. I have been looking for a 2nd hand unit to tide me over.~Muir

Keep us posted on your progress & thoughts on the Co-Ax press. I have one on order via a friend in the US. It's going to be a bit of a step up from my Lee Classic Loader!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Keep us posted on your progress & thoughts on the Co-Ax press. I have one on order via a friend in the US. It's going to be a bit of a step up from my Lee Classic Loader!
    There isn't much discussion. The CoAx is the top of the line with regard to quality. I talked to the Forester Rep at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas last January about delays in shipment and he said that they are doing what they can but with over 500 machining operations on each press it takes time. He also said that if tolerances in the ram components are out by (irrc) a combined total of .005" the press won't operate. They are that precise.

I took issue with the man about their 'precision' primer seating feature telling him the virtues of precision seating of primers is entirely dependent on the quality/tolerances of the primer pocket. He agreed but said that with the built in unit on the CoAx the primer can never be crushed. I opined that it may also never be seated fully if the pocket deeper then normal and he agreed again. I will put this one to the test, I think.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 12-03-2013 at 11:55.

Reminds me of my favourite cowboy movie...

Eastwood... "Much obliged, Granny"

Aged "Granny" (declining payment)... "You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales".

Eastwood... "I reckon so"

fraser