Pet loads for .222 rem

john444334

Hi SD

I am new to reloading and have been give a few pet loads to try. They have come from folk that have been loading along time and I should hope by their position they should now a thing or two.

My question is: most of the loads I have been give are over the top limit of anything I can find in print, even backing off 10% the load is sat on the top limit. Does this seem to be a normal thing or should i be cautious?

May thanks John

Hi SD

I am new to reloading and have been give a few pet loads to try. They have come from folk that have been loading along time and I should hope by their position they should now a thing or two.

My question is: most of the loads I have been give are over the top limit of anything I can find in print, even backing off 10% the load is sat on the top limit. Does this seem to be a normal thing or should i be cautious?

May thanks John

You never, ever, shoot anyone elses loads in your rifle, especially if they are above maximum listed loads. The .222 is an accurate cartridge and about anything will work well, powder wise.

Start at minimum and work up. No offense, but if these friends of yours didn't tell you the same thing, they aren't as experienced as you think. These are the first rules of handloading.~Muir

You may even find as I did that the book loads are a bit hot

50gr vmax
N133 or RL7 or Even N140 was recommended to me
I found OAL is limited by magazine length in my BRNO

Hi, I feel there is no need to go over book max load in this calibre. Having said that most of the loads I use are at the high end of the book data as that's what works best in my rifle.

The loads I and 3 other mates with 222's use are all with Viht N130

40 grain V-max with 22.1 grains
50 grain V-max with 21.3 grains
55 grain Hornady SPWC (#2266) with 20.6 grains

I had decent results with RL7 but didn't have a reliable supply, I was also given some N133 to try but struggled to fit enough in the case without compressing it so decided against it.
Hope this helps

Rick

I am currently using Reloader 7 and it works wonders for me in my .222, its a great round and accurate as well.

+1 for Reloder 7 - I personally use 21grns behind a 40grn Sierra Blitzking with Federal Match Primers in my old Steyr Mannlicher SL .222 and my best group was 5/16" for 3 shots and 11/16" for 4 shots at 168yds - good enough for me and the crows and magpies dont like it one little bit!

Thats a good bit of shooting. I use 19.6 grains of Reloader 7 with a 50 grn hornady V Max through my anschtuz .222 shoots within a 1/4 inch at 100 yards.

Sadly it seems the fad to ignore reloading manuals and just load em up hot :rolleyes: after all what do these powder and bullets makers know?

21gr Reloder 7 and a 50gr plastic tip type bullet. This has worked in every 222rem I know off, just tweak the OAL for best results.

varget 23g over 50g vmax br small primer set at what it tells you in the die book gave me one holers all day from my tikka t3 light went to 26g varget but cartrige is full dont like compresed loads 23g was best in my gun from crows to roe deer

Hi, I feel there is no need to go over book max load in this calibre. Having said that most of the loads I use are at the high end of the book data as that's what works best in my rifle.

The loads I and 3 other mates with 222's use are all with Viht N130

40 grain V-max with 22.1 grains

50 grain V-max with 21.3 grains
55 grain Hornady SPWC (#2266) with 20.6 grains

I had decent results with RL7 but didn't have a reliable supply, I was also given some N133 to try but struggled to fit enough in the case without compressing it so decided against it.
Hope this helps

Rick
Rick
nice one just picked up some vit 130 yesterday will give it a whirl with your data
regards pete

Start load for benchmark, lee book, and it shoots sweet. It is so unfussy that i have thrown the powder and used the lee reloader to shoot a 1/4" @ 100. I was lucky enough to get a press and all the bits to go with it but even now i still throw the powder and check every tenth load. 52 amax, cci primers. the load weigh you will need to look up.

whats good in one might not be in another.

Back