Thread: Foxing, Starting Out

Foxing, Starting Out

Hi All,

I know this is a stalking forum but my stalking career is still embryonic and at this stage I've just got my first FAC for a 22.250 for foxing. The only problem is I know nothing about foxing and now have to start learning.

So can anyone recommend some good reading, either on the internet or the old fashioned way, a book to get me started.

As well as that is there anyone in the North Dorset area that needs an apprentice. I'd be happy to come along as a bag carrier just to look and listen and/or to at a later date to bring my rifle, the main problem with that being I'm on a closed ticket so any land would have to be cleared. I know I've said I've only just got my FAC but I was in the Army for 20 odd years so I'm not a total admin disaster in the field and I do know one end of a rifle from the other. Clearly I'd be happy to buy some beer by way of payment.

If the above is a non starter is there a course of any kind to keep it more formal/professional, again ideally in the North Dorset area.

Many thanks,

Jim

Good book to look at OF LAMP AND RIFLE by Robert Bucknell ,otherwise just get out and shoot your rifle get to know how it shoots at different ranges,bullet drop etc.Worth looking at getting some thing called a u caller for calling with.Its an electronic caller,Really foxings not hard ,worth putting some bait out sometimes,dogfood,tinned tuna,smelly stuff.We hit the foxys pretty hard this month lots of farmers lambing.some folk maybe dont shoot as much this month due to not liking shooting the vixens and maybe leaving cubs ,22/250 s a cracking caliber for fox.good luck stuart.

There's a new book due out soon on this very subject. Watch this space...

In the meantime, if you're prepared to travel to mid-Devon, you'd be welcome to come and see how we go about things down here!

Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    Good book to look at OF LAMP AND RIFLE by Robert Bucknell ,otherwise just get out and shoot your rifle get to know how it shoots at different ranges,bullet drop etc.Worth looking at getting some thing called a u caller for calling with.Its an electronic caller,Really foxings not hard ,worth putting some bait out sometimes,dogfood,tinned tuna,smelly stuff.We hit the foxys pretty hard this month lots of farmers lambing.some folk maybe dont shoot as much this month due to not liking shooting the vixens and maybe leaving cubs ,22/250 s a cracking caliber for fox.good luck stuart.
    I second that, what Robert Bucknell doesnt know about Foxing is not worth knowing... PM me I have a spare paperpack copy of his book, the wife bought me a signed hardback copy at the Game Fair when he was there.
    Shame you are not in Kent I could have taken you out.
    ATB WB