Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short Barrels

Short Barrels

Came across this article on shortening barrels in 308 and 300 Win Mag, to give an idea of the effect it has on the two chamberings pretty much at the opposite ends of the 30cal spectrum. I found it quite interesting, especially the very last paragraph.

SWAT Article BARREL LENGTH

Ok I'm now glad that I had my 24 in 308 chopped to 20!!

Watched a documentary recently on the US Marine Corps. Their newest incarnation of the issue M40 rifle will the known as the M40A5...

New style stock, Badger Ordnance AI type magazine system....and a 20" barrel...

Part of their test to be a sniper is shooting at unknown distance targets in excess of 1000 yards in some cases.

Nothing shabby about 20" tubes. Even the last decade has seen some amazing new powders come out that will get the best ballistics possible from such barrel lengths, or even shorter in some cases.

Account Suspended
    " Shorter barreled rifles are more versatile, being equally suitable for both urban and rural operations. According to Tac Ops, there isn't any need to go to the 26-inch barrel unless you want to go to a heavier bullet or push the round to higher velocity using more powder or use a slower burning powder"

TAC OPS!

So ,do we also have a bunch of shoot-em-up, wannabes running around the stalking world these days?

I'd go for a long barrel, on principle, just to distance myself from such idiots... but mibbee that's just me...

On the other hand, I am actually quite passionate about heavy for calibre bullets being the way forward as far as deer stalking is concerned, so all my rifles are of the old-fashioned full length variety anyway.

have been looking at the desert Tactical SRS Covert its a bullpup Sniper rifle with chancable barrels he covert it the short verion and runs the 308" in a 16" barrel oerall length is only 26"
    but like all this type its heavy at 10 lbs not scoped and expensive

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    have been looking at the desert Tactical SRS Covert its a bullpup Sniper rifle with chancable barrels he covert it the short verion and runs the 308" in a 16" barrel oerall length is only 26"
    but like all this type its heavy at 10 lbs not scoped and expensive
    How long would you expect the objective lens to last on this rifle ?
    The Pfeiffer Waffen would be a better choice for a short rifle, 26 inch barrel and only 27 1/2 inches long overall length.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    How long would you expect the objective lens to last on this rifle ?
    The Pfeiffer Waffen would be a better choice for a short rifle, 26 inch barrel and only 27 1/2 inches long overall length.

Neil.
    Looks like an extension piece on the objective side of the scope to me.
    Actual objective lens seems to be behind the line to the rear of the bipod leg

Looks very similar to the Crapahute rifles to me. Nice idea if you like the format

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    " Shorter barreled rifles are more versatile, being equally suitable for both urban and rural operations. According to Tac Ops, there isn't any need to go to the 26-inch barrel unless you want to go to a heavier bullet or push the round to higher velocity using more powder or use a slower burning powder"

TAC OPS!

So ,do we also have a bunch of shoot-em-up, wannabes running around the stalking world these days?

I'd go for a long barrel, on principle, just to distance myself from such idiots... but mibbee that's just me...

On the other hand, I am actually quite passionate about heavy for calibre bullets being the way forward as far as deer stalking is concerned, so all my rifles are of the old-fashioned full length variety anyway.
    Tamus

Its not about looking like a swat member! Its about carrying a lighter weight rifle, that handles better, is more maneuverable in a high seat/vehicle and not loosing any velocity in the process and does not swing under the armpit when carried on the shoulder by the sling!

The point in actually posting was to show the real figures and not the speculative ones that are often discussed on here...
    Last edited by jamross65; 10-03-2013 at 21:11.

they do a 338 lapua in 16 " as well muzzle brake deflects sideways
    you can swap out for the longer 22" barrels etc

and me i would have the moderator they do fitted fun with the 338 subsonic