Great Wall Motors Steed

roe2506

I have just been to test drive the Steed SE. It would be great to hear of any comments that members have. Many thanks

If you have a look at one up close, take a look under the bonnet. There is a plate on the right hand side which tells you the date the car was produced. I think you'll be surprised how old some of these 'brand new' trucks are. Apparently there was a problem with compliance testing and they sat around in China for a long time.

Personally I would rather eat wasps than own one. Especially with the relentless nauseating overhyping given to them by Team Wild.

A work mate had one last weekend for 24 hours:

Not particularly well designed, not great in the styling department but overall he thought it was probably quite well built, fairly basic, but had all the functions you'd need as a work vehicle. I guess only time will tell how well they're built etc.

Had a look around one for the first time last summer. Having owned from new a Isuzu Rodeo LE, all I can say is that the interior and to a certain extent the outside is based on the Rodeo, in particular the inside.

HOWEVER the finish is cheap and flimsy, as are the body panels. It is also underpowered for the size of the vehicle.

BUT for the price you pay they are the cheapest in the crew cab market, although has been said the re sale value will be low

IF I had the money I would buy another Isuzu Rodeo, they now have a 125,000 mile warranty and are for me very good vehicles.

Personally I would rather eat wasps than own one. Especially with the relentless nauseating overhyping given to them by Team Wild.

Dan you burger i have just spat oot my nice cup of tea all over the place with this comment.

made my rather boring let down again day feel a tad better.

bob.

Thanks for all of your comments,really appreciated. I found it quite a nice ride and well equipped. Re-sale value will be quite scary...totally agree. Wish i could afford the Isuzu Rodeo too.

Build quality etc , usual Chinese crock of **** ? Would any of you chaps sit a Chinese scope on top of your rifle ?
Yet your happy to cart your arse off down a motorway in it ?

If you can't afford a new pickup truck buy a second hand one

Well I have to say, I hated the thought of having one,actually kicked and screamed, said I`d have the same amount and get a second hand other brand, but the boss bought 3 brand new. Mine has done 7400 kms since dec 10th,with no problems, and have to say I am impressed,all leather, it is Rodeo body, the engine,mine is 2.4 petrol 2 wheel drive, is the same engine Great Wall produced for Mitsuibishi for the L200.
It does what it says, it is a cheap ute, $23000 (as we had 3 ), rrp is $25,990 (I think)
A company in Auckland actually bought 19 Great Walls, for the same amount the could only get 8/9 Toyota Hi-lux.
Great Walls are now the best selling utes in NZ.
I have to say I have actually back tracked on my previous thoughts of them, maybe we should think back to when Kia`s, Ssanyong, etc started being sold here, and in Europe.
I was talking to the local agent at an agricultural show on the weekend, and thoughts were that the demand will outstrip supply in a very short time, then hey ho, the price will rise.
As for second hand value? we aren`t worried about that, I am sure the prices will rise, ok the quality will improve,maybe a bit thicker steel?
:lol:
Have to say, the petrol does go like the preverbial of a shovel, and as it is free vehicle and fuel, for personal use too I`m happy.
Yep, I will have another Range Rover for ourselves, but hell a new one here in NZ is $218,000, so it`s on the back burner for a bit.

Friend has bought one and is delighted - accepts that it is slightly underpowered, but that pales as soon as you compare the features you get for not a lot of money.

Time will tell, but I am thinking that the Chinese are now perfectly able to build/copy at whatever grade of engineering required.

I see a great future for a reasonably priced, well appointed crew cab - check out the numbers on the road in a year's time!

Driven: the Great Wall Steed - BBC Top Gear

Last edited:
The Chinese have always been able to make quality. The problem it seems is the companies who contract them to make the syuf specify such low prices that quality has to be dropped to make them for that amount.

I still do not know how the Chinese can make some things for the money.

Build quality etc , usual Chinese crock of **** ? Would any of you chaps sit a Chinese scope on top of your rifle ?
Yet your happy to cart your arse off down a motorway in it ?

If you can't afford a new pickup truck buy a second hand one

Probably all the components in the various computing devices used to view this site were manufactured in China. Usual Chinese crock of ****?

Back