Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a new permission

Just picked up a new permission

A chance remark at a friends birthday bash a month or so ago has resulted in me picking up 700 acres today. The chap in question works on the farm next to the 250 acre one I shoot over & he told his boss about me who asked if I would call in & see him today.

So dressed in best tweed & moleskins off I go with some trepidation as this landowner has the reputation of not suffering fools gladly & is a very straight talker. Well you couldn't have met a nicer chap, a gentleman of the old school & when he found out I used to live on a farm 2 miles from his home village near Watlington I was home free with carte blanche on deer, fox, rabbits etc on his 700 acres mainly arable.

I'm guessing around 100 acres is un-shootable due to the close presence of some houses at the back of one village but the rest should be OK but not much cover in the form of woodland. Never mind as the deer on my friends farm I shoot which has a good size wood migrate all over this new one anyway.

Well pleased.

Chris

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Chris

What an excellent result - you'll have to go to more birthday bashes

willie_gunn

Nice one Chris.

Catch up soon
    Jonathon

Quite the opposite for me ground i had stalked on for more than 10 years has now been leased out to the farmers cousin. He doesn't want any one one because of the cattle spooking i did tell him that i would use a moderator but to say it was falling on deaf ears is an understatement. So from a roe deer haven to a cattle ranch and i need to find some were that will give me 10 - 15 deer a year. Still its a lesson learned things are not for ever.

Well done Chris,

For those of us that get shooting for free, its great when you get some new land. Sounds like it'll be good shooting too - do what l do and chuck down some barley and a mineral block or two and you soon have some standing still long enough to bag a few!

L.D.G - i've had the same - like you say its not forever (just have to wait for them to mess-up) on the patch l lost - new shot was caught with a badger in the back of his pick-up - didn't get the shooting back but what goes around come around!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by L.D.G
    Quite the opposite for me ground i had stalked on for more than 10 years has now been leased out to the farmers cousin. He doesn't want any one one because of the cattle spooking i did tell him that i would use a moderator but to say it was falling on deaf ears is an understatement. So from a roe deer haven to a cattle ranch and i need to find some were that will give me 10 - 15 deer a year. Still its a lesson learned things are not for ever.
    Blimey L.D.G that's a bummer, I feel for you mate.

Here's hoping you pick up some more land soon.

ATB
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo
    Well done Chris,

For those of us that get shooting for free, its great when you get some new land. Sounds like it'll be good shooting too - do what l do and chuck down some barley and a mineral block or two and you soon have some standing still long enough to bag a few!

Tom
    Funnily enough Tommo I've got 2 Sweet Acorn Buck Lickers flavoured salt blocks in the garage which I haven't found a use for so I am going to place a stump block with one of the salt blocks tied to a post above it near a small copse in one of the large barley fields & see if that will do the trick. I've been told the Roe frequent this field a lot in the mornings.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've had real success with salt - lickers etc. when l've broke them up in an old stump and let them wash in - they bloody love-em!

T

chris well done on your new permission
    i bet youd thought all your birthdays had come at once

Chris,

Jumping from 250 to nearly 1000 acres, and all in one place, is quite a result!

Having recently met you I can understand how you struck up an immediate rapport with the farmer.

I wish you you lots of success and enjoyment and hope to hear about it if we arrange another social.

Neal