Thread: Carrying rack

Carrying rack

Hi
    I am thinking of getting one of these Game Transporter - perfect for deer stalkers and hunters - Heck Pack Game Transporter for a four wheel drive car as I am going to get rid of my truck this summer due to diesel cost. Has anyone used one and if so what do you think of it as it would give a bit more room in an estate car.

Thanks
    dogfox

Exhaust fumes may be a problem.

Got one made by another company at a substancial reduction in price. Works well, problems include ....buggers up access to the back of your vehicle as well as grounding on un-even terrain off road. Need some form of cover for the deer to avoid road spray etc from fouling the carcass.
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

It can easily overload your 'downwards' weight on the tow hitch.
    As said previously not good on rough ground and needs some sort of cover to prevent spray and muck contaminating whatever you carry.
    The item itself is heavier than it looks so does not leave a lot of room for the load.
    The vehicle using it needs to be fairly high in the first place to be of any use off road.

look at back rack at a lot less cash , that is what they are using as the base product

I'd worry it could rotate on the towball. Are these things even legal on the road? In the link the numberplate is obscured.

I can't see much use. Some tow balls are rated with nose weights as little as 75-100kg

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I'd worry it could rotate on the towball.
    My thought too but easily attended to in the manufacturing stage for one intended for use on a Landrover Defender as you could configure stabilising arms that slotted into the left & right rear bumper jacking points. In fact this would be a far better approach to taking the downward load and use the tow ball as a central stabilising lock.
    I am of course assuming the Landy in question has a rear cross-member free of significant rust!

K

Quote Originally Posted by BI9JOHNNY View Post
    look at back rack at a lot less cash , that is what they are using as the base product
    I have both and the back rack is a lot less 'beefy' and the carry weight is less, but the item itself is a lot lighter, it is also smaller.
    The Back Rack is fixed to the tow ball using a spanner and the Heck Pack is attached with a quick fix/release handle.

EMcc makes a valid point about the legality. Anyone know just how much weight can be put on these and still be ok with the law? Last thing you want is a pull from plod. I would maybe fit a trailor board with lights and number plate on it.
    I think we have a Traffic Officer as a Forum member maybe he could chip in and help?

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    EMcc makes a valid point about the legality. Anyone know just how much weight can be put on these and still be ok with the law? Last thing you want is a pull from plod. I would maybe fit a trailor board with lights and number plate on it.
    I think we have a Traffic Officer as a Forum member maybe he could chip in and help?

Yorkie.
    The maximum permissible download on your ball hitch often called the nose weight will vary from vehicle to vehicle but is usually found in the vehicle handbook and for most cars is around 50 - 75 kg which really isn't an awful lot. The weight that the carrier can support might be quite different and could be quite a bit more than the maximum load that the handbook recommends. Stick to what the handbook recommends or you could be pulled over by a switched on traffic officer.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.