Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions decisions !

Decisions decisions !

Think I'm going to get my wife a starter rifle in the next couple months . I've about decided to get her a 7mm-08 . Rather have a 260 or 6.5x55 but I'm not finding any of those in a configuration I like for her .

Been looking at the Howa 1500 and the Savage Axis as well as the NEF Handi Rifle . You see she's left handed and when time comes for her to learn I want it as easy as possible .

The Handi Rifle looks good from the cost standpoint and the fact that it's left or right handed . The Howa is not made in a lefty version and the Axis can be bought in left hand and a decent aftermarket trigger added for $100 .

Here in the USA dealer cost for an Axis is about $260 and dealer cost for a Handi is about $230 .

The Handi Rifle bothers me because the triggers on those things are hit and miss .

Hi 6-PT
    I am a Leftie too. The Tikka T3 are available left hand in various configurations and as Muir takes delight in pointing out ,they can be had for sensible money on your side of the pond. They are very good Rifles.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi 6-PT
    I am a Leftie too. The Tikka T3 are available left hand in various configurations and as Muir takes delight in pointing out ,they can be had for sensible money on your side of the pond. They are very good Rifles.

Yorkie.
    Thanks sir , just one problem !

I've never been overly stimulated by the Tikka . I know they shoot rather well as a general rule , just don't like their looks .

6pt

Check out the inte on the Sako 85 Hunter in left hand config - 6.5x55 is available

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85HunterLH.pdf

Looks fabulous

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm a lefty too got three Tikka T3's, two in 6.5x55 and would be my choice over the two calibre's you have mentioned, I've recently sold a howa 1500 for a Tikka and don't regret it the howa is a good rifle but doesn't come close to the Tikka lovely smooth action detachable magazine nicer trigger also......

Quote Originally Posted by iainfarthing View Post
    6pt

Check out the inte on the Sako 85 Hunter in left hand config - 6.5x55 is available

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85HunterLH.pdf

Looks fabulous

Cheers
    i.
    I could live with a Sako with nice walnut except for the cost !

Hence the reason for looking at the three I mention !

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    I'm a lefty too got three Tikka T3's, two in 6.5x55 and would be my choice over the two calibre's you have mentioned......
    Look again I mentioned three and one is the same as your preference .

Still can't get excited about a Tikka .

I have a friend that has a nice Remington 700BDL LH in 243 I may trade him out of and then rebarrel it to 260 REM !

6pt
    Is it Tikkas in general you do not like or just the T3? I have an older 690 Model that was originally in 6.5 swede but now is a 6.5X284. The action is lovely and smooth and they came in 2 Action lengths unlike the T3.
    I do like BDL too. I have just stripped the Varnish off one and intend to try make a nice oiled finish with it for a future project.

Yorkie.