Decisions decisions !

6pt-sika

Think I'm going to get my wife a starter rifle in the next couple months . I've about decided to get her a 7mm-08 . Rather have a 260 or 6.5x55 but I'm not finding any of those in a configuration I like for her .

Been looking at the Howa 1500 and the Savage Axis as well as the NEF Handi Rifle . You see she's left handed and when time comes for her to learn I want it as easy as possible .

The Handi Rifle looks good from the cost standpoint and the fact that it's left or right handed . The Howa is not made in a lefty version and the Axis can be bought in left hand and a decent aftermarket trigger added for $100 .

Here in the USA dealer cost for an Axis is about $260 and dealer cost for a Handi is about $230 .

Hi 6-PT
I am a Leftie too. The Tikka T3 are available left hand in various configurations and as Muir takes delight in pointing out:D ,they can be had for sensible money on your side of the pond. They are very good Rifles.

Yorkie.

Hi 6-PT
I am a Leftie too. The Tikka T3 are available left hand in various configurations and as Muir takes delight in pointing out:D ,they can be had for sensible money on your side of the pond. They are very good Rifles.

Yorkie.

Thanks sir , just one problem !

I've never been overly stimulated by the Tikka . I know they shoot rather well as a general rule , just don't like their looks .

I'm a lefty too got three Tikka T3's, two in 6.5x55 and would be my choice over the two calibre's you have mentioned, I've recently sold a howa 1500 for a Tikka and don't regret it the howa is a good rifle but doesn't come close to the Tikka lovely smooth action detachable magazine nicer trigger also......

I'm a lefty too got three Tikka T3's, two in 6.5x55 and would be my choice over the two calibre's you have mentioned......

Look again I mentioned three and one is the same as your preference .

Still can't get excited about a Tikka .

I have a friend that has a nice Remington 700BDL LH in 243 I may trade him out of and then rebarrel it to 260 REM !

6pt
Is it Tikkas in general you do not like or just the T3? I have an older 690 Model that was originally in 6.5 swede but now is a 6.5X284. The action is lovely and smooth and they came in 2 Action lengths unlike the T3.
I do like BDL too. I have just stripped the Varnish off one and intend to try make a nice oiled finish with it for a future project.

Yorkie.

6pt
Is it Tikkas in general you do not like or just the T3? I have an older 690 Model that was originally in 6.5 swede but now is a 6.5X284. The action is lovely and smooth and they came in 2 Action lengths unlike the T3.
I do like BDL too. I have just stripped the Varnish off one and intend to try make a nice oiled finish with it for a future project.

Yorkie.

Don't mean to hurt anyones feelings I just never cared for the looks of any of the Tikka's .

I am however a Remington 7 and 700 person .

I did however find a new Savage 10 in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor thats for a lefty and had an AccuTrigger that just might fit the bill !

No problem 6pt. We are all different. I am not overly enamoured with the T3 but they do shoot well. Remington can be a little hit or miss. That said i have two.

Yorkie.

No problem 6pt. We are all different. I am not overly enamoured with the T3 but they do shoot well. Remington can be a little hit or miss. That said i have two.

Yorkie.

Yorkie ,
I always thought of a Remington as being very much like a Chevy or Ford automobile !

They may not be great when you get them , but there's plenty after market things to make uhm what you want LOL's !

Yorkie ,
I always thought of a Remington as being very much like a Chevy or Ford automobile !

They may not be great when you get them , but there's plenty after market things to make uhm what you want LOL's !

Which is probably why I bought my Sako as I buy my cars - with nothing needing doing to it... :D

Cheers
i.

Yorkie ,

That may be the case in the U.S. 6pt-Sika but in this country the price of a Remington is the same as you would pay for a decent rifle that you don't have to rebuild at great expence and where components are not quite so readily available.

P.S. Another satisfied Sako shooter.

Last edited:
That may be the case in the U.S. 6pt-Sika but in this country the price of a Remington is the same as you would pay for a decent rifle that you don't have to rebuild at great expence and where components are not quite so readily available.

P.S. Another satisfied Sako shooter.

I can lay my hands on a good used 700 here , rebarrel it and replace the trigger . Float it and bed it and still have a good bit less then I'd pay for a new Sako or Steyr !

And about 1/8 what I would pay for a Blaser and about a 1/4 of what a Sauer 202 would set you back over here .

And with all that said I would very much like a Sako Bavarian mannlicher stocked carbine in 260 or 6.5x55 FOR MYSELF !

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332655852

Last edited:
Buy American, 6pt, and help your economy.
I dont get excited with my Tikka either
its just a weatherproof accurate work tool:confused:

Just quickly skimmed this post so haven't digested the detail.

I'm a lefty and have a Howa in .223 and its excellent. But it is heavy, based on a standard short action.

I don't mind because I have always shot RH rifles and am very used to the compromises. Actually for precision shooting I prefer them, so the bolt is on the correct side for single loading off a rest.

I can lay my hands on a good used 700 here , rebarrel it and replace the trigger . Float it and bed it and still have a good bit less then I'd pay for a new Sako or Steyr !

And about 1/8 what I would pay for a Blaser and about a 1/4 of what a Sauer 202 would set you back over here .

And with all that said I would very much like a Sako Bavarian mannlicher stocked carbine in 260 or 6.5x55 FOR MYSELF !

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332655852

Fortunately it's the other way around over here 6pt-sika. A decent second hand model 700 will cost you about £500 - £600, to have it rebarrelled at least £600, a trigger job or basix trigger aprox £60, bedding about £250 all in all around about £1,500+ or $2,261. That's a very crude estimate many land up paying much more than this, for the same sort of money you can get an off the peg Tikka or Sako which will shoot without any sort of alteration straight out of the box. Yep a Blaser or Sauer will cost a fair bit more but then you will have something for which you will have pride of ownership.

A few years back I purchased a Remington 700VSS new for £850 at that time the same rifle was advertised in Walmart in the U.S. for $350. I was rather dissatisfied with the Remington and didn't feel inclined to spend more on it to bring it up to scratch so got shot of it. The same rifle today is well over £1,000 to buy.

Last edited:
A few years back I purchased a Remington 700VSS new for £850 at that time the same rifle was advertised in Walmart in the U.S. for $350. I was rather dissatisfied with the Remington and didn't feel inclined to spend more on it to bring it up to scratch so got shot of it. The same rifle today is well over £1,000 to buy.

The 700VS or 700 VSSF have been more then $350 from the first day they hit the market . You may have seen a 700 SPS for that price . Usually the 700VS is $600 used and a 700 VSSF is about $750 used . A new 700 VSSF is about $1200 now .

So the VS here would set you back used about 365 Pounds , the VSSF used about 455 pounds and a new VSSF about 725 Pounds .

I tend to buy older 700's meaning ones made before 1995 or so . If they're in decent shape I'll use them as they are or tear them apart and build something from the action . Alotta times you can get a decent rifle for about $300-350 or 175-225 Pounds for a rebuild . I'll sell the barrel and the stock which may bring you $100 and then buy a HS Precision stock and a Shilen barrel . Do the trigger over myself as well as the chamber barrel job and be in for about $750 or 450 Pounds .

I can go to McWhorter and they'll use a custom Stiller or Borten action and the cost will be $4500 or 2750 Pounds .

Back