Thread: Moly Coated Federal Power Shoks

Moly Coated Federal Power Shoks

When I purchased my first batch of 120 6.5x55 Power Shoks the first two boxes I used had a coating of some sort similar to Moly on the bullet. I opened a fresh box the other night & found these were standard copper jacketed rounds, I checked the remainder of the boxes & these were the same.

Wondering if this would effect my zero I took the remaining rounds into Francis Lovells where they were purchased & Francis had no idea there were any differences in the rounds he had in stock so he opened up 4 fresh boxes & they were all coated so he swapped them for me but had not heard that Federal were changing over to a coated bullet.

I thought I would e-mail Federal & got this response this morning:

"Greetings,

The 6.5x55 is Moly coated to decrease pressure of this round. You may have a slight variation in your point of impact"

So I was right to question it, it looks like the standard rounds were old stock. Interestingly chatting to mjjl the other night, Mark uses the same calibre as me & has never used a coated round to date!

Chris

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Chris

Glad to see the conundrum solved, although you have to question Federal's method of communication with their dealers. Fair dues to Francis Lovells as well.

willie_gunn

I shoot Power Shok too, in both .308 and .223 -

Never seen a coated round either and have had a batch since they all ran out - 2-3 months ago??

Me thinks GMK is clearing old stock out too then - or are dealers returning old for the the new?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo
    I shoot Power Shok too, in both .308 and .223 -

Never seen a coated round either and have had a batch since they all ran out - 2-3 months ago??

Me thinks GMK is clearing old stock out too then - or are dealers returning old for the the new?

Tom
    Good question Tom?

Chris

Moly coated Federal Power Shoks

Hi Chris, Good to see that you have sorted this out. This site has a lot of info on Moly coatings. www.shootingsoftware.com/moly.htm