Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much sleep is enough?

How much sleep is enough?

Just starting my last weekend nightshift and calculating by the time I get to bed in the morning I'll have had 3 hours in bed since 0530hrs Saturday morning = 3 hours sleep in 50 hours.
    As I work shifts
    I go stalking after week day nights for the weekend & that consists of
    Wake up about 1500 hrs Thursday, work all night, home walk dogs, pack car, eat, drive 3 hours to the borders, set up camp, stalk until dark, 2-3 hrs sleep, out lamping fox/rabbit, sleep 0400-0600 ish stalking, eat, any highseat work etc, stalk until dark, 2-3 hrs sleep, lamping, sleep, morning stalk, eat, pack up camp, check zero, test home loads, drive home, clean rifles, kit etc. bed by 2200 hrs. Up for work Monday. I seem to do ok on very little sleep and wonder is this a common thing among stalkers who are most active dawn & dusk

How much sleep is enough?

About another 30 minutes

8 or 9 hours for me, if I get up early I catch up during day, usually 11 til 2.

Verging on irresponsible to not get enough sleep if doing long drives to or from stalking ground IMO.
    Last edited by mudman; 10-03-2013 at 22:05.

5 hours for me anymore and I get headaches
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Lambing harvest time about 2 hours at a time, all depends what your used to i think. Dont need nearly as much sleep as the so called experts tell us!

Do it for a sustained time any you will feel run down, tired (more than you realize) get colds / flu more easily. You don't eat right You don't sh!t right. You don't sleep right when you get the chance You feel the cold more than you should. Been there done that working adhoc offshore many many long shifts of between 18 30 hours with sometimes a few hours sleep between for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. Not like that now thank god. Though some would still like it the old way I feel and still occasionally try it on.

5 hours when not working shifts. At least 7 when I am.

Unless its buck season when I dont
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Just starting my last weekend nightshift and calculating by the time I get to bed in the morning I'll have had 3 hours in bed since 0530hrs Saturday morning = 3 hours sleep in 50 hours.
    As I work shifts
    I go stalking after week day nights for the weekend & that consists of
    Wake up about 1500 hrs Thursday, work all night, home walk dogs, pack car, eat, drive 3 hours to the borders, set up camp, stalk until dark, 2-3 hrs sleep, out lamping fox/rabbit, sleep 0400-0600 ish stalking, eat, any highseat work etc, stalk until dark, 2-3 hrs sleep, lamping, sleep, morning stalk, eat, pack up camp, check zero, test home loads, drive home, clean rifles, kit etc. bed by 2200 hrs. Up for work Monday. I seem to do ok on very little sleep and wonder is this a common thing among stalkers who are most active dawn & dusk
    I wish i could keep that pace up, I was once that keen and couldn't wait for the weekend! alas, age has caught up and got the better of me. Still working night though. Bugger.

atb blue.

Forbie, sums it up perfectly

Definately down to the individual..

Currently working all sorts of shifts theres some that keep a sence of humour when the going gets tough and theres some that should definately only be working days on a 40 hour week..

Ridiculously one place i worked many years ago you could work a day, night, following day and get payed for that night off and then start all over again, getting paid for every hour in the week.. Needless to say that dont happen anymore, nor should it obviously

Worked night shift steel erecting at Heathrow, then drove to Brighton putting the iron up and back to Heathrow for nights again. took it in turns driving/sleeping.

Not a healthy choice for a long life doing shifts... Its pants
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...