Venison sausages with lamb fat

david1976

I have recently been trying a few sausage recipes and the following one is delicious, so much so that I sold 40 packets (all the ones I made) in one day last week!

It basically uses the royal venison sausage mix and recipe from weschenfelder but substitutes the recommended pork belly for lamb skirt.

Makes the sausages a little bit sweeter and very very tasty.

The recipe is:

5lb venison mince
2.5lb lamb skirt
0.25lb seasoning
0.75lb rusk
1.5lb cold water

Have a go, delicious :drool:

I think you should send/deliver free samples of your delicious sausages to your carcass suppliers. :lol:

Ill give that a try, just ordered seasoning and rusk, but still looking for a cheap mincer that works! any advice on that one! cheers.

David thank you for your advice, not looking to make sausages commercially, I have a freezer full of venison and i'd like to try something different, my budget goes to the Moulinex or Kenwood MG510 and as long as they can mince and stuff sausages, I'll be happy! Do you have a link for the sausage skins you use,

Kindest regards

my budget goes to the Moulinex or Kenwood MG510 and as long as they can mince and stuff sausages, I'll be happy!

My GF uses the meat grinder/sausage stuffer on her Kenwood Chef Titanium, which looks identical to the MG510 you mention. However the Chef has a 1400 watt motor, whereas the MG510 is only 450 watts. I suspect it would struggle to be productive. Also it is only single speed.

The Chef works well, but even with 1400 watts (nearly 2 horspower) its not particularly fast. And the cutting disc can quickly get blocked by sinew if you dont trim the meat carefully.

With the Chef the motor speed is finely variable, I'd say this is essential until you get the knack, I wouldn't recommend any mincer that doesn't have variable speed, if you intend to stuff the sausages with it too.

Also don't ever put it in the dishwasher. She did, and the alloy was etched completely into a dirty black colour, it seems to be some sort of zinc alloy. It took me several hours to polish it back.

That said, we have made plenty of sausages with it, it takes a couple of hours to process a modest amount. Its best done as a two person job, one to control the machine, the other to catch and control the sausages. If you ran the Chef flat-out you would need to be pretty skilled to keep up with it, and not end up with rather odd sausages.

I get my skins from the local butcher. He has them delivered fresh every Tuesday, ready for his Wednesday sausage session. Usually he gives me them free. A single skin makes a lot of sausage, I keep any leftovers in the fridge in strong brine, they seem to last well.

Last edited:
I'm going to have a go at these next week David and by pure chance have already ordered all of the ingredients and skins that you use from weschenfelder,can I ask you how many of the sheep and hog casings respectfully would that amount fill,think it's about 5 meters on each tube if I remember right.

Hello,
You will get lots of succulent flavour from the lamb fat and the will eat lovely hot and warm.
Lamb fat goes very hard though once its cooked and its allowed to chill so my top tip would be eat them as quickly as possible once cooked.

Initially I used one of these: Moulinex HV8 Mincer ME60514A: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen Home

But then changed to one of these: The No.8 El Young Electric Mincer 220/50 | Weschenfelder Sausage Making

Both worked well however the young no.8 is far faster to use. I also use a seperate sausage stuffer, one of these: New Trespade Minnie-Plus Little Demon Rosso Stuffer 2012 | Weschenfelder Sausage Making

When you buy skins for the sausages, buy the pre-spooled ones, they load much faster and dont rip!

Weschenfelder, Yes, this is a Superb company to deal with. I use both their No 8 El young electric mincer and their sausage casings. The electric mincer comes with a couple of sausage stuffing attachments. I decided to try using these attachments before buying a suffer and I'd say that they are perfectly adequate. Obviously the mincer and stuffer would be the best combination but seeing as I only make enough mince and sausages for myself and family and friends the machine alone is perfectly adequate. The stuffer is pretty essential though if you are looking at stuffing cured sausages as you don't get air pockets using these.
Last year I made about 20kg of sausages and 50kg of mince and it did this without any effort.
Before buying this mincer I asked other people who had all tried using all sorts of 'cheap' equipment that either didn't work or broke. All I can say is don't bother wasting your time and money on anything else, its so much easier to do a job with the rite tools and mine has paid for itself in convenience so many times over now. I was worried at first that it was an overkill but it certainly wasn't and I'd rate it as one of my better purchases.
Every time I make a pie, lasagne, burgers, sausages, Bolognese, pate, meatloaf, or meat balls, I am happy with my purchase. When you have just shot a deer and you only have room for 2 in the chiller the last thing you want is to be messing about with some silly little thing that's sliding about all over the show, getting blocked and churning out a mess . Its a false economy to buy something that won't do the job because you wanted to 'save' £80.
Weschenfelder also do seasoning too but I tend to prefer to use the fresh herbs and spices, far nicer, as you have more control over what flavours you put in this way.

Kind regards, Olaf

Howdy. First, thanks to David for the recipe which I tried this weekend. I used Tong's venison mix rather than Weschenfelder's. To my liking, with this flavouring mix, I'd use less flavouring as the nutmeg was very strong. I also made a mistake I think by adding more water than suggested. The rusk just didn't look wet enough so I added more and it was a mistake. They tasted very good but texture was very mushy.

Second, I used the sausage stuffer attachment for our KitchenAid mixer. This proved to be an absolute battle and so not worth it. It was simply impossible to feed the mix without air. And so...any recommendations on sausage stuffers? Any thoughts on the Weschenfelder lateral stuffers or does one really need a vertical feed version? The New Trespade was mentioned above.

New Trespade Minnie-Plus Little Demon Rosso Stuffer 2012 | Weschenfelder Sausage Making

Weston make good products but like most things US they seem to cost the same in £ as they do in $ in the US.

My concern with lateral stuffers like the Trespade is you seem to need a deep bench to be able to have the handle hang off the end at yet still be able to manage the sausage at the other end. I guess I could get out the Black and Decker workbench... :)

Last edited:
I have recently been trying a few sausage recipes and the following one is delicious, so much so that I sold 40 packets (all the ones I made) in one day last week!

It basically uses the royal venison sausage mix and recipe from weschenfelder but substitutes the recommended pork belly for lamb skirt.

Makes the sausages a little bit sweeter and very very tasty.

The recipe is:

5lb venison mince
2.5lb lamb skirt
0.25lb seasoning
0.75lb rusk
1.5lb cold water

Have a go, delicious :drool:
Stumbled on this whilst researching sausage recipies.

Thanks very much.

I had several rolled lamb skirt “joints” in the freezer so used one minced into latest Munty sausage mix.

Split the batch in two, both with the royal seasoning and sparing on the rusk. One batch supplemented with caramelised red onion, the other with dryed prunes minced in.

Both rich and sensational. I know the prunes thing sounds a bit weird but I use them allot with venison, adds sweetness and depth of flavour, also darkens sauces.

Now back to saucing and freezing the end of season tomato glut.

early this year made some borewores using the same named seasoning from weltcher. Mixes I used; 40% lamb shoulder, 40 venison, 20 pork belly. neighbours loved them.

Back