Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timber merchants ?

Timber merchants ?

We have got a few blocks of woodland that really needs thinning.
    300 acres in total but just looking to do a bit at a time.
    There are some blocks with mature pines, right down to small oaks, and everything in between.

Does any know of a reputable timber merchant/contractor that would be interested ? (Warwickshire area.)
    We would really prefer to deal with one person to do the whole job.
    The main thing is we do not want to be left with a mess(been there before).

TIA

Nick

Nick,

Try posting on the Arbtalk forum mate, should get a good response on there.

Have you had any advice on the woodland before as you can get a free advisory visit and subsidised technical support via ERDP until September. 300 acres is a fairly big block for the least wooded county in England I would have thought you would have contractors tripping over themselves to help you on that one, Im not aware of anyone in Warks in terms of larger harvesting contractors as its a bit far off my patch, but if you struggle to find anyone closer, I can let you have the name of a few from Shropshire and Staffordshire that would be able to help.

If you are not sure what to do then I would suggest paying a small fee to a consultant, establish what you want to fell then put it out to tender, the consultant should have an idea who to approach, they will also deal with the felling licence if one is required. Inevitably there will be some mess but you can outline in the tender that the site is to be left in a tidy condition and no rubbish/waste to be left etc. Also it is worthwile having a simple contract in place, again the consultant should be able to help as the wording is pretty standard.

I tend to opt to fell/thin blocks in one operation as it is less hassle, less disturbance etc

Certainly need a felling licence!

Thanks for the replies.
    We have got a pretty good idea what we need doing, the plan would be to do smallish blocks to minimise disturbance to the pheasants.
    I am aware there will be some mess but a few years ago we had a few cowboys in, not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieh View Post
    Have you had any advice on the woodland before as you can get a free advisory visit and subsidised technical support via ERDP until September. 300 acres is a fairly big block for the least wooded county in England I would have thought you would have contractors tripping over themselves to help you on that one, Im not aware of anyone in Warks in terms of larger harvesting contractors as its a bit far off my patch, but if you struggle to find anyone closer, I can let you have the name of a few from Shropshire and Staffordshire that would be able to help.

Hello Charlie