Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sympathetic article about deer culling in the Guardian

Sympathetic article about deer culling in the Guardian

Hello everyone. I thought I'd draw your attention to this article in The Guardian. Obviously the readers' comments rapidly descend into invective but that's only to be expected. Reader's online comments always do. Sometimes also on deerstalking websites...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/10/culling-deer-no-brainer-woodland

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Hello everyone. I thought I'd draw your attention to this article in The Guardian. Obviously the readers' comments rapidly descend into invective but that's only to be expected. Reader's online comments always do. Sometimes also on deerstalking websites...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/10/culling-deer-no-brainer-woodland
    Crikey, I never realised you were a football hooligan!! Really? biting a Swiss footballer!! Shame on you!!

I did spot that article in the sidebar but didn't really know what to make of it...

Todays best video! did you watch it? it's really quite amusing.

Now on the one hand, this is a thread hijack. On the other, this is very funny, and that bite must have hurt!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/vide...invasion-video

I wonder where they took the creature to afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Now on the one hand, this is a thread hijack.
    Oh, sorry about that! please don't bite me!

Seriously, the article on deer is interesting too and it was obviously written by someone with a brain unlike some of the newspaper pages this last week. Shame it wasn't a longer article as I think the public need educating further on the subject of deer....

Good balanced, sensible article. The pine martin incident was great too!!
    Flogging will continue until morale improves

It was a balanced and sensible article but I assume responding to the press release from Dr Dolman of the UEA. The BDS has issued the following statement:

PRESS RELEASE issued on 07/03/13

The British Deer Society’s official statement on the Dolman Report, University of East Anglia

The British Deer Society welcomes good science. It has yet to read Dr Dolman's report in full, but has seen the sensationalist headlines calling yet again for an increased cull of deer across the UK.

The Society is wary of headlines such as 750,000 deer to be culled annually - this is not well-justified and sounds as if it offers rather an arbitrary figure, not one based on a very scientific approach. Further, as a percentage of the wider UK deer population, the BDS will be interested to see the methodology behind an estimation of 1.5m deer in the UK, which is 25% lower than a recent estimate by the Deer Initiative of deer in England and Wales.

The British Deer Society acknowledges that there are areas within the UK where there are far too many deer - such as the Arne Peninsula (where recent active management has more recently been effective in reducing densities and associated impacts), Ashdown Forest, and Thetford Forest where this research appears to have been carried out - but suggests that such ‘hotspots’ of high density are not representative of the wider countryside.

Extrapolation of more general levels of deer impact on biodiversity at a national level from results obtained within a study area of perhaps atypically high deer density may lead to somewhat unsafe conclusions about general impact levels.

The assertions about impacts on biodiversity detract from the main message of Dr Dolman’s study: in demonstration of source-sink movements at a landscape scale in response to management.

The British Deer Society is very supportive of active deer management, directed towards ensuring that deer numbers are maintained at densities that are in balance with their habitat and strongly supports a call that co-ordination of such management at a landscape level is to be encouraged.

The British Deer Society welcomes Dr Dolman's references to deer in urban and peri urban environments, where there is a serious problem developing with growing deer populations in areas where practical management is very difficult.

I had criticised the BDS comment that "It has yet to read Dr Dolman's report in full" as I felt that someone should have read it! I received a very quick response from the BDS followed by a call from Mr Mark Nicholson explaining that a report has not in fact been published and the press response has been on the basis of a press release. The BDS has asked for a copy of the mysterious "report". My understanding is that the "report" is based solely on roe and muntjac over a relatively small area.

Richard
    Deer Diary

How the hell can a study of deer in Norfolk be representative of the whole of the countries deer population and issues especially a study on only muntjac and roe hardly a country wide study of all species and habitats what a load of rubbish, also I wouldn't trust any information coming out of the UEA after the scandal on global warming they were involved In.....

the pine Martin video was hilarious made me laugh out loud

Will Dr Dolmans report be available for the public to read?