Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Choices...too many!!!

Rifle Choices...too many!!!

Guys,

Taking my first steps into the stalking world, FAC sorted now need to decide on some kit. I've read through a lot of the posts a know this has been covered previously but have decided on a choice of 3 and would appreciate some experienced voices.
    I think I have now decided on .308 after initially leaning towards .270 for a wide use calibre. As for the rifle I'm torn between Steyr Pro Hunter, Tikka T3 and Remington 700 SPS. Budget for the rifle is probably between 600-900 with the more I save being put into a scope. Was in Sportsman today and they were certainly pushing the Steyr over the T3. Any thoughts?
    Other consideration is I would probably go for a L/H if there was a choice but shoot equally well R/H and appreciate that gives me a much bigger choice, strange I know but fact.
    Experienced voices would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    T.

p.s. what can and can't you get sent over from the States law wise? Optics don't seem worth it but anything else?

Tasr,

Of the three rifles you mention I would unquestionably choose the Remington.

I'm surprised you have included the Steyr in your choice as the last I saw they are now somewhat more expensive than you're budget allows.

I would expect The Sportsman to push the Steyr hard since they are the sole importers and consequnetly probably have the best margin for them. I understand that the Steyr's barrel is an interference fit pushed into the action using cryogenics. Therefore this would make a re-barrel at a later stage if needed for whatever reason at best expensive and possibly impossible. Also there are next to no aftermarket parts available if you wanted to upgrade. That said I know of a professional stalker who is more than pleased with his Ultralight,

I have personally had two T3s and wouldn't go there again. I have no particular objection to plastic on a rifle but the T3s feel too toy like for my liking. Also they are far too expensive for what they are. There are much better option out there for the money.

As for the Remington they are a solid rifle with a miriad of aftermarket parts available should the need arise. Put simply you can't go wrong. And they look good to boot.

A fourth option for you to consider would be a Howa which would fit the bill nicely as well. Especially if you fitted a Bell & Carlson stock to it at a later date.

Whatever your eventual choice I would definitely make a bid for a stainless rifle.

Just to put the above comments into context I now shoot two Sako 75 SS, an SPS SS and a Howa SS. I am more than pleased with all of them for the job I ask them to perform.

Good luck,

Tim

For what it's worth, I've been using a T3 since they came out and have never been let down by it, and it grouped sub-inch out of the box with factory ammo.
    Think hard before you go for a Pro Hunter - Sportman will push them, but make sure the saleman knows what he is talking about. Some of them don't. Steyrs are a bit like Freelanders - people seem generally happy with them, but you hear of too many niggling problems ....
    Have no experience of the Remington but, unlike the Steyr, I've heard nothing bad.
    Hope this helps!
    Mole

Double post - deleted

For what it's worth, I've been using a T3 since they came out and have never been let down by it, and it grouped sub-inch out of the box with factory ammo.
    Think hard before you go for a Pro Hunter - Sportman will push them, but make sure the saleman knows what he is talking about. Some of them don't. Steyrs are a bit like Freelanders - people seem generally happy with them, but you hear of too many niggling problems ....
    Have no experience of the Remington but, unlike the Steyr, I've heard nothing bad.
    Hope this helps!
    Mole

Tim,

Thanks for that, really informative. Sportsman were doing a deal on the Steyr including Mod bringing it in budget but I wasn't convinced by it. Have read a lot of good things about T3's and that was probably in my No1 spot until you raised your experience so I may have to re-think that. Remington was just going by posts on this and obviously yours lends weight to that. I just need to get my hands on one to have a feel. Do Remington do L/H options?

Thanks again for your time Tim.

Regards,

T.

Double post -deleted

out of your list i would go for the styer if you can afford it but dont scrimp on optics just to get it. if not then like already said i would lean to the remington as you ar able to change a lot of components of the rifle very easily and build your own custom rifle if you ever want to. the only reason i wouldnt have the t3 is purly as i dont like the look of them, i know a few people who own them and they have never faulted them

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    T.

Any of the rifles you mention will 'do the job'. I have a Sako, but if I was choosing a first rifle again I'd go for the Remmy for all the reasons Tim mentions. Getting hold of any aftermarket parts will be a doddle by comparison with the others.

So far as getting stuff from the US, I've brought several suitcases-full back over the years. The best deals I've found have been on clothing, reloading kit, optics and the like. I even brought a high-seat back once

willie_gunn

I have a Tikka T3 Hunter Deluxe in .22-220 & its a cracking piece of kit, superbly accurate & extremely reliable, cannot fault it. I also shoot a Styer Mannlicher Classic Half Stock in 6.5x55 & its superb. Horses for courses TASR12 its very much down to personal preference.

I have a friend who has a Remington 700 & although the action is one of the best around the trigger is dire & the floorplate mag is a pain.

Have you considered a Howa, great deals on at at the moment?

Good luck whatever you choose.

Chris