Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What .243 for my 1st deer rifle based on low budget?

What .243 for my 1st deer rifle based on low budget?

I've had the nod from the feo to get a one for one done to allow me a .243 for deer and fox. Now the big question?

Is there a particular make of rifle to avoid or go for at the lower end of the money scale? What are the obvious signs to look out for and how can you tell if the barrel is well worn?

I'm a big old unit at 6' 3" and 16 - 17 (ish) stone so rifle weight is not a real problem. There's a Parker Hale i've been asking about at about 200 quid on here that seems ok, but then there seems to be quite a few around this price if I look around. Although this is threaded for a mod which is handy.

I have a 90's Tasco 3-9 x 50 scope which is in great condition and clear as a bell which I thought may be ok on top? Am I correct?

Any pointers please?

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Brain fuzzy, but did Colin J have a 243 BRNO up for sale recently at a good price?

Always subject to condition, but Parker Hale and BRNO are much over-looked cracking rifles. Getting one already threaded will save cost and aggro later, so worth looking for even if not intending to moderate initially.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I'd look around for a Tikka 590 or 595, you should be able to pick one up at decent money.
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

there's an awesome wee brno .243 zkk600 on guntrader for your budget, even comes with the original zeiss jena scope and leather scope covers, AND it has the original and hugely sought after pop up sight in the rear receiver bridge..

these also look awesome if you restore the stock and re-blue the barrelled action, etc....or at least it was there a few months ago, I tried to haggle them down to 100 but eventually they ignored me - LOL!

Hi
    Everone has their own favourites.. I have a CZ550 Lux for sale on here and it is priced to sell...... having said that CZ rifles are good, honest workhorses but they will never be Sako's or Mausers..... however they rarely let you down.
    Let me know if you want some piccies or more info.

regards

Colin

thers a green hogue stock howa on guntrader 390 ?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    there's an awesome wee brno .243 zkk600 on guntrader for your budget, even comes with the original zeiss jena scope and leather scope covers, AND it has the original and hugely sought after pop up sight in the rear receiver bridge..

these also look awesome if you restore the stock and re-blue the barrelled action, etc....or at least it was there a few months ago, I tried to haggle them down to 100 but eventually they ignored me - LOL!
    Alas it seems to have gone mate, unless they just got fed up with you and took it off Guntrader!!

It's also worth looking at the sealed bid section of the Holt's auctions. There's a preview this week, you can now bid online, and the catalogue's available on their website too (http://www.holts.co.uk). There are definite bargains to be had! I'm going for a look at the .22s tomorrow after work.

Thanks for the info guys I may have to up my budget slightly but at least I stand a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It's also worth looking at the sealed bid section of the Holt's auctions. There's a preview this week, you can now bid online, and the catalogue's available on their website too (http://www.holts.co.uk). There are definite bargains to be had! I'm going for a look at the .22s tomorrow after work.
    I can't see any gun info on that site mate looks like a tours company?! Or am I being a bit fick??