Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSP Question

GSP Question

Good day guys

i am not sure if there is a similar thread or not, but here goes.

I have a GSP bitch 6 months old now. When playing retrieving games she is very obedient as long as it is only us two. When my Jack Russel joins the party she will not listen for the hell of it. We have been out hunting the weekend

I really need advice, am i two early to introduce her to life birds? ( she points well but still tend to creep after spotting them)
    will she be able to learn both point and tracking wounded game?
    she tends to miss the dead birds after shooting

any advise welcome

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    gerrit@ehw.co.za
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

She is still only a pup, she needs a lot more training yet. Don't rush it

Al

Do your training one on one and thereby do not set yourself up for her to fail. Has she handled cold game yet. It is still quite early in her life to be putting pressure on her. Everything should be fun. You need to crack the recall to whistle and hand signals and give her plenty of praise when she returns. If you must take the two dogs out together, then don't try to train her.

Her mental development will need to catch up. She can recall one on one with a bird wing if you want to do retrieves. Just praise and cuddle her when she returns.

She is to young mate slowly slowly is the answer having kept and worked GSPs for the last twenty years I find that while you can install basic training they are in general slow to mature and I would not expect much of them until they are at least 18 months of age.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    She is to young mate slowly slowly is the answer having kept and worked GSPs for the last twenty years I find that while you can install basic training they are in general slow to mature and I would not expect much of them until they are at least 18 months of age.
    Mine is 16 months and still bonkers but I am starting to see the light! May be ready to actually try taking out stalking soon, before now and she would have been a nightmare.

I would say stick to basics, more basics and even more basics again. Try to introduce the other dog under controlled circumstances and only when you have full control of each. Everything you do in the presence of dogs is actually training them. If you are not careful you can train them to do what you don't want them to do without knowing it. I would look at the very simple things in detail. My 8 month GWP is still just on dummy retrieves, walking at heel, sit and stay(with exposure to increasing degrees of stimulus but must still stay) , blood trails, recall, dropping to shot and whistle. I would really think 18-24 months would be a realistic age to be aiming for a dog to be starting to work. You are better putting 2 years into training them than wishing for ten years that you had.

My Wirehaired pointer was three years old before she would do anything for me. Her litter mate brother was a FTCH by the time they were 18 months! You just have to let her get there when she gets there. Personally, I wouldn't expect anything from a dog until its at least physically grown up (about a year usually) and would concentrate on obedience up until then.

I definitely wouldn't try to train a pup in the presence of another (especially older) dog again. One to one at all times and even keeping the pup on a lead when exercising them together is how mine will be from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    I would say stick to basics, more basics and even more basics again. Try to introduce the other dog under controlled circumstances and only when you have full control of each. Everything you do in the presence of dogs is actually training them. If you are not careful you can train them to do what you don't want them to do without knowing it. I would look at the very simple things in detail. My 8 month GWP is still just on dummy retrieves, walking at heel, sit and stay(with exposure to increasing degrees of stimulus but must still stay) , blood trails, recall, dropping to shot and whistle. I would really think 18-24 months would be a realistic age to be aiming for a dog to be starting to work. You are better putting 2 years into training them than wishing for ten years that you had.

Absolutely!!

Thanks guys, i was just woried as i did not now the time frame they should start doing certain things. I appreciate your input and will surely take it to heart. Guess i was a bit eager, this is my first gun dog and i really want to do good with her.

Will share some pics of the lady tommorow

Best regards

gerrit@ehw.co.za

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	507.3 KB 
ID:	25827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	25828

Here is my lady

Regards

gerrit@ehw.co.za