Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panorama Americas gun addiction

Panorama Americas gun addiction

Coming on in a few minuets 8:30 bbc1 should be worth a watch.....

I was in two gun shows in Oct 2012 and what she showed in this programme was happening big time with AR"s. You could buy from any private individual there whatever they had for sale without any checks being made and even doing it inside the shows boundary.
    Which is how I bought my S&W model 52 .38 special in 1983 in an Ohio gun show when I lived in Michigan which then had tighter state laws.
    I was much wilder in those days now I can see the error of my ways.
    She was telling it like it really is.
    A pretty even handed TV report IMHO.
    As she was not a Texan citizen she broke their state law by purchasing it.
    Martin
    Last edited by Bavarianbrit; 11-03-2013 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I was in two gun shows in Oct 2012 and what she showed in this programme was happening big time with AR"s. You could buy from any private individual there whatever they had for sale without any checks being made and even doing it inside the shows boundary.
    Which is how I bought my S&W model 52 .38 special in 1983 in an Ohio gun show when I lived in Michigan which then had tighter state laws.
    I was much wilder in those days now I can see the error of my ways.
    She was telling it like it really is.
    A pretty even handed TV report IMHO.
    As she was not a Texan citizen she broke their state law by purchasing it.
    Martin
    yes very balanced considering it was the BBC I thought makes a change that's for sure.....

Will she be at risk of arrest whilst in Texas?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Will she be at risk of arrest whilst in Texas?
    Did she really do it?

Or did she just hold a gun, turn to camera and claim she did it?

I suspect she'll swear to the latter if challenged by the authorities... and I'd expect that would be the truth of it too.

Can't really see what all this talk about America has to do with us though.... we don't own guns for the same reasons and we don't have access to anything like the same sorts of firearm, as portrayed... why would we?

I'd read reports, unconfirmed of course, the individual had a semi automatic he took after shooting his mother, but it was in the boot of the car he never used it. Now if that is true then its more sensational journalism and not strictly fair and balanced.

I couldn't see the point or the relevance to this program in regards to the uk

Blog Entries
    Its fundamentally not applicable to our situation in the UK. However you get publications like The Sun tabloid trying to scare monger that the same weapons are available here and The BBC News showing images of pistols every time they talk of further Gun restrictions. Joe public is conned by our media to believe that guns are bad and only used by bad people. Perhaps any balanced debate is to be welcomed.

Whilst I don’t want to detract in any way from the enormity of the horror and loss at Sandy Nook I thought the reconstruction was full of conjecture. At risk of sounding like a crackpot conspiracy theorist:

1 AR was reported as being left in the car
    2 Early reports say he was let in a back door because his mother was a teacher.
    3 Where is the CCTV footage of him holding an AR?

They did afterall say that the investigation was still under wraps. I suspect some details will never come to light.

As always its only if guns are involved that they at fault. In any other act of violence it’s the criminal that is clearly seen as at fault.

When you cannot afford $85K a year for the Psychiatric Care needed to keep such people from harming themselves or others then this kind of thing will happen.We have had comparable incidents in the UK with “Care in the Community”. Of course it’s cheaper for the Government to blame the guns and the not failings in the system that put the public at risk.

Refreshingly, I thought the Panorama programme didn’t try to paint the NRA lobby as total lunatics. I have some sympathy for those who want to have armed “Sentinels” in schools. Anything to keep children safe.

It is very disturbing that guns can be traded without any consideration of the recipient. I thought that point well made. I think also that securing guns from unauthorized access has not been considered well in the USA.

However, with the proper checks and balances I don’t see why in the UK or the USA any authorised individual should be restricted from holding any form of firearm. If I am a fit and proper person to hold the range of firearms I do, I really don’t see the point in restricting me from others I might legitimately have good reason to want, be that a pistol, Semi-Automatic or arguably even a fully-automatic. Whilst the latter is abhorrent to a lot of people It’s just not logical to vilify a type or style of firearm if I have a good reason. If I am a danger at all, dont authorise my possession of any form of firearm.

The issue as we have seen this last week with Durham Constabulary highlights that the laws we have are adequate as they are but they must be enforced adequately. To have a quick rethink in the aftermath of a tragedy and rescind 100 certificates is something that should never happen.

Has anybody watched the Top Guns series on Sky? I was watching the Practical Pistol skills demonstrated on what otherwise was pretty much an advert for Smith and Wesson with awe and perhaps some jealousy. I have to accept that my generation onwards will never be able to compete with a pistol.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 12-03-2013 at 10:25.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Fully agree with that post NorthDorset. I also find it a great shame that I've never been able to try pistol shooting, and most likely will never be able to unless I take an expensive trip abroad! It's a shame that the people in charge feel the need to discriminate between different 'types' of firearm and class some as more dangerous than others. It is people, not guns, that are dangerous; as you say, why should someone who is trusted with a powerful centrefire rifle not be trusted with a pistol? The same goes for the silly problems people encounter with different calibres, and licensing departments sometimes being so reluctant to authorise 'bigger diameter' calibres over smaller ones.

northdorset/ skinner if you really want to have a go at pistol shooting you can go over to IOM or Ireland I know its a treak for you guys but its possible foot passanger on the ferry . you can use pistols there and both have fullbore ranges ,I have been over to IOM to do a pistol course and enjoyed the experience I have just joined the club and will be going back, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports