Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tikka 595 re barreling

tikka 595 re barreling

Picked up a nice 595 last week in .222. Its been poorly screwcut and I need to decide whether to simply have it re threaded or whether to re barrell it, possibly in a different caliber.
    Firstly am I right in thinking that the only cal. (without going into some of the wildcat stuff) would be .223?
    Secondly can anyone reccommend a reasonably priced service?

Thanks
    Edd

.223, .222, 20 Tactical, 20 Practical, 204 Ruger, 6x45....etc etc

you are looking at 70 for a thread and crown vs 600+ for a rebarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    .223, .222, 20 Tactical, 20 Practical, 204 Ruger, 6x45....etc etc

you are looking at 70 for a thread and crown vs 600+ for a rebarrel.
    HMMM thats a biiiig difference!
    I dont actually need the gun (already have too many) but the opportunity arose and I thought I should fill the slot (ooooh er!!)
    Is that anything special barrel wise or is that gonna be a basic figure? Way too much to spend on a gun I bought on a whim.
    The previous owner assured me that it shoots perfectly (I have not shot it yet) so should I just use it as it is?
    Its in really nice condition and would be a shame to not use it....
    Edd

That figure would be for a non-fluted Border Archer, fitted, invisible thread cap, vapour blasted and proofed. you could save some money with a Bergara barrel but only approx 80

That figure would be for a non-fluted Border Archer, fitted, invisible thread cap, vapour blasted and proofed. you could save some money with a Bergara barrel but only approx 80
    So a new thread and crown it is then!!!
    May just try it as is and see how it shoots, the previous owner assured me that its spot on (even after he had the cash in his hand) so will have to decide after a box of ammo through it.

Cheers
    Edd

If you can get it to Sportsmans in Newport, speak to Sean, he'll get it to Neil Mckillop for you and you have the work done to a very high standard.

If you can get it to Sportsmans in Newport, speak to Sean, he'll get it to Neil Mckillop for you and you have the work done to a very high standard.
    Already spoken to Sean and that is the likely option once I have tried a few rounds.
    May just sit it in the cabinet until I sell the .243 and then see if I get chance to use it.

Edd

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    thats where to send it,

neils a top man.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Why dont you try mike norris?

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Why dont you try mike norris?

Why am I not surprised at the little snide comment from you?

Anyway re-barreling in this country is daftly expensive proposal and further more the "trade" makes it difficult for one to do it oneself when I was making enquiries most barrel suppliers would not even supply unthreaded/unchambers barrels to anyone but an RFD even though in the law they are not a barrel until machined to fit an action and accept a cartridge. Until then it's just a tube.

Hence the daft high prices quoted and charged.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 12-03-2013 at 10:25.