Do bullet heads get marked on FAC

Lee Enfield

As a newbie this is the first post I have started, please go easy on me if this is a daft question.

I am finding that I am getting conflicting advice with regards to the purchase of bullet heads with some RFD saying these must be marked on my FAC and others not so.

I would have thought that they do not require to be noted on the FAC as they only become rounds once all the components are assembled. If I do need to note them on the FAC how does this affect the quantites I am allowed to hold

If anyone can provide some clarity I would be gratefull

Go easy on you - not a chance. You put your life in your hands when you post on this site. :rofl:

Yes expanding bullets (they are not called bullet HEADS in spite of what some people call them) are written onto certificates when you buy them usually though this has been open to some serious arguements at various times on this site. Non expanding bullets and those classed as such however are not.

Now stand by for the arguements - suggest that if you want an insight into the debates that have gone on in the past have a look in the legal section, this will tell you how heated the debate can get at times.

Yes they do mark expanding bullets on your FAC but as 8X57 said this argument can get serious as it has done in the past.

Tis not emotive just screwed up. The Police want it one way and are telling RFD's in their area to do so in some cases yet the law does not say so hence the problems. I am afraid it will be down to the dealer and how the view it.

Just another good reason for the licensing whole thing to be sorted out in the UK.

In fact the whole expanding bullet bit is a farce.

There is no legal requirement to enter expanding bullets on your FAC .The dealer will want to see that you have the right to purchase by reading the notes on your FAC which state the calibres that you can buy. Home office guidance makes no mention of the necessity to enter details of BULLETS purchased nor does the Firearms act.There remains a grey area where all expanding ammunition was reclassified as Section 5 ,but was almost immediately effectively negated by the passing of the Deer Act which states that deer may only be shot with expanding ammunition .Hence the notes on your FAC which grant permission by you Chief Constable to purchase expanding BULLETS.
The dealer only has to have sight of those permissions on the front of your FAC,not write upon it.
BUT---- when in doubt ,ask your LOCAL firearms department as it's their Chief Costable who granted you the permission in the first place.
:doh:

When I helped out at a Hants RFD we did not enter bullets onto the FAC. We checked the condition that allowed the purchase.

If you buy from Reloading Solutions they do it the same way. IE check the FAC for the condition then hand over the bullets without any entry.

ATB

One so far unaswered question from the OP is that yes they do count towards your total ammo allowance, irrespective of being a component rather than an assembled round. Clearly if your RFD doesnt enter them on your ticket then this isn't such an issue, but if you contact your FEO explaining you are reloading, they should be amenable to allowing you to purchase larger quantities.

Depends on the issuing force and the RFD.. In Cleveland I have to have them entered on my FAC... My buddy just down the road falls under N Yorks who don't insist they are entered and so the RFDs don't bother!

Guys

Thanks for all the quick replies and advice, obviously a hottly debated subject. I think I will call the issuing authority and request an increase to accomodate the reloading of expanding ammunition. At least this way I am covered.

Thanks again

I don't get them put on my ticket when I buy heads ,, and I've just had my ticket renewed and they didn't say anything about ammo or ask why I didn't buy any ammo in 5years for 4 rifles ..

I recently bought some expanding bullet heads from a gun shop,and he did not enter them on my fac.
My local gunshop however does record them on my licence,and so do every other I've bought from,apart from the non expanding stuff.

I purchased some HPBT for reloading and they were added to my FAC, as the guy said it will show I am using ammo. I will also be buying vmax and Sp, and think they will always be added to a FAC. My local firearms dept pointed out that I must include expanding bullets with complete rounds in my allowance and not to exeed it.

Makes sense to me and if I keep my FAC and my quantities of buy 400, hold 600 I am quite happy with this arrangement. However, soon I will be buying ammo from another shop and who knows what they will propose ......

I bought a hundred v max heads in fife at the weekend,shop owner said he didnt need to mark them on my licence but could if i wanted him to.stuart.

There is no requirement to have them marked on your FAC. However they do count towards your totals to hold. Look at your FAC and you will see the term "Expanding missiles". This means bullets as well as rounds.
Th RFD needs to see that you are entitled to purchase "Expanding missiles" but it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with the requirements of your FAC regarding the numbers held.
Cheers,
Dave

Back