Thread: Birnam Institute, Dunkeld Fri 15th March.

Account Suspended

Birnam Institute, Dunkeld Fri 15th March.

Will there be any other attendees from this forum?

Atb~Tom

ps. This is deer related but if you don't know what I'm talking about I guess your own answer is that you will not be in attendance.

This would be for DMG,s from upnorth to help them get the DMG,S running smoother.Enjoy your self but i will give this one a miss its not for the likes of the lowland deer group.s

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    This would be for DMG,s from upnorth to help them get the DMG,S running smoother.Enjoy your self but i will give this one a miss its not for the likes of the lowland deer group.s
    Have you been to one of these training days already?

No but i did talk to R Cook as i was going to send a group member. He said it would not be any good for us we need one with a spell checker lol.

Account Suspended
    I've a list of 48 attendees, one or two of the ones I recognise are not from the far, far north or the west or the isles, but you seem to be right to say it's Northerly biased Davie... I expect to learn a lot.

I would have thought some on the list might be S.D. members though... ?

Account Suspended
    Well, that was quite interesting... and will no doubt be publicised fully somewhere appropriate.

The "that" I'm talking about was the joint ADMG/SNH training day at the Birnam Institute, Dunkled.. Entitled "Towards a more effective DMG"

The principles of "The Deer Management Plan"... Deer management planning... and ... how to stimulate support for and engagement in such processes, and learning about same (with particular interest in the roles of both Chair-persons and Secretaries within DMG's) was my purpose in attending.

Three words seemed to ring out repeatedly, all day... Sustainability, Inclusion and (above all) Communication!. A lack of due consideration of any of these, but especially any lack of the latter, seemingly causing the greatest potential source of problems... leading to the other most frequently heard word of the day "Conflict"

As expected, matters focussed on the range of different "Highland Estate plus neighbours" sorts of, principally, Red-Deer-centric DMG's.

Not my scene exactly but clearly the lowland deer managers do have to "include" the owners and occupants of the land on which their own particular deer reside... For instance, I and my neighbours own land upon which deer reside and no DMG has come 'chapping' on our doors looking to "include" us... They have not "communicated" with us even though we regard oursleves as, unquestionably, "stakeholders".. another buzzword... This has already created potential for "conflict"... are you guys taking note?

This is the reason behind some of us considering forming our own DMG here in the Upper Ward of South Lanarkshire... where Roe numbers are growing steadily and plantings look set to increase exponentially over the next few years...ie, we have Lots and lots of deer and NO management PLAN.

During the day's "training" we had excellent talks from three different DMG chairfolk and two DMG secretaries, explaining the make-up of their groups and the way in which they, as individuals, performed their alloted/chosen tasks... I took copious notes. All pretty much as you might expect and none-the-less valuable for that. It was all very interesting.

We then delved into the world of "Conflict Resolution", a lengthy and informative talk, and now I have diagrams and defintions of the variety of types of conflict... Open, Hidden and Latent all being highly applicable here. Early intervention, Inclusion, Communication, discourse and mutual agreement on a "sustainable" path being the desired tools to aid toward resolving issues. Though it was conceded that full resolution is rare but co-operative agreement can and does usually allow a way forward.

The word "Sustainability" remains undefined in my lexicon... Note to self, must pay better attention...

There was also a rather puzzling "interrogative/discussion" process (for the want of a better explanation) toward the end of the day where our kind hosts from "SNH" seemed to be attempting to glean information from the assembled throng... with future policy forming the distinctly "apparent" purpose (to this innocent observer). I'm not at all certain what they took away from the meeting.

For what it's worth... I'm home with more contacts and knowledge and far more questions than answers than I had before I went and I found it all very stimulating.
    Last edited by Tamus; 17-03-2013 at 12:25. Reason: edit typos