Thread: Inacurate info from the EDP

Inacurate info from the EDP

Read an article about Deer numbers in Suffolk & Norfolk in the EDP online, and to my surprise it seems that there is no close season on CWD ... Think they got it wrong. checked BASC and CWD do have a close season just as i thought. Nov 1 - Mar 31.

... I have always said that there are more Deer than we see and that all the stalking that goes on will not make any difference.I have personally always thought if you see a deer there must be another four or five you don't see.

The EDP states
    "The Deer Act 1991 allows authorised people, in certain circumstances, to shoot deer if they are causing damage, although all wild deer, except muntjac and Chinese water deer, are protected by a close season when the animals must not be shot".

Lead researcher Dr Paul Dolman, from the UEA’s school of environmental sciences, said: “Deer management is often based on guesswork. This is the first time that a population has been quantified and studied in terms of how the deer are breeding - to measure the effectiveness of deer management.”
    EDP March 12 2013
    UEA research in Norfolk and Suffolk sparks national debate about deer culling - News - Eastern Daily Press

What do you think the powers at be will decide Night shooting or open season on all Deer stated in the article. I wonder. All the best to all

A cynical view might be that certain parties are justifying their existance prior to the next financial year?!
    MS

[QUOTE=alexs;541983]Read an article about Deer numbers in Suffolk & Norfolk in the EDP online, and to my surprise it seems that there is no close season on CWD ... Think they got it wrong. checked BASC and CWD do have a close season just as i thought. Nov 1 - Mar 31.

... I have always said that there are more Deer than we see and that all the stalking that goes on will not make any difference.I have personally always thought if you see a deer there must be another four or five you don't see.

The EDP states
    "The Deer Act 1991 allows authorised people, in certain circumstances, to shoot deer if they are causing damage, although all wild deer, except muntjac and Chinese water deer, are protected by a close season when the animals must not be shot".

Lead researcher Dr Paul Dolman, from the UEA’s school of environmental sciences, said: “Deer management is often based on guesswork. This is the first time that a population has been quantified and studied in terms of how the deer are breeding - to measure the effectiveness of deer management.”
    EDP March 12 2013
    UEA research in Norfolk and Suffolk sparks national debate about deer culling - News - Eastern Daily Press[QUOTE]

This got me thinking about something I've read on the recent DEFRA RRO. The info is a bit out of date in one respect in that a Close Season is in force for CWD.......

close seasons for deer
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Sorry Have just reread your post. We agree on the CWD Close season, although I've yet to shoot one.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.