Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some advice please

some advice please

Hi guys i am after some advice on what to check for when buying a second hand rifle

thanks
    adam

Best advice, take someone with you who knows what he looking at.

I did the same when I looking at spending a lot of money on a big bore wildfowling gun.

I would think a lot depended on what rifle you were looking at, different makes have different faults / weak spots to look for so it may be better stating what you were actually looking for. In general check the crown for damage, riffling for excessive wear or corrosion, safety catch function check, serial number matches on all component parts, magazine fits, secures & releases as it should. Although most modern stalking rifles are very good so most of the time it's a case of finding a rifle that suits you i.e. feel, size, comfort of fit & handling as well as calibre and suitability for the task required of it
    Wingy

Only thing i would recommend is try before you buy although that's not always possible or make sure you can return it if it wont shoot a group, stick to the most popular makes they are easier to sell on.

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    stick to the most popular makes they are easier to sell on.
    It's that sort of thinking that perpetuates the situation. You may as well advise him to paint his whole house in magnolia silk so that he can resell it more easily. Unless of course he just wants to live in it, which us what houses are for...

thanks guys. i am looking at a CZ 572 in .222 and was just after general advice as it is second hand. it is from a RFD but if i go with it i will make sure i can return it if it will not group.

adam

try all you can get your hands on its your choice and your dosh, try and get a hole setup if cheap is your way at this time if you have some pals who use one shop take one along you may get a better deal, i would go for ? how deep is your pocket not all rfds are hawks find a good one and stick with him buy cheap buy twice its a golden rule look on guntrader some on there going cheap or see whats on here there have been some cracking rifles up for sale in the past and prob still are in the for sale section. Mine field time for you feller ? i may say do't buy an old pre 90's but then some of them are better than a new one ? (not much help am i dad !)

ah a cz 572 why you not say that cookyboy

nice little rifle a good one will last you some time my old one loved a hot load be nice if its srew cut mags can be expensive there are two for sale on the hunting life website for 50 seen rifles from 250 and up on guntrader may give you an insight what to pay

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    thanks guys. i am looking at a CZ 572 in .222 and was just after general advice as it is second hand. it is from a RFD but if i go with it i will make sure i can return it if it will not group.

adam
    Last edited by paul o'; 12-03-2013 at 18:49.

What to look for?

Condition ............................ condition ................................... condition.

Myself I always look at the stock fit. Too many would gun mechanics mess up the bedding on them.

I also look carefully through the bore. Only by eye as I don't have a bore scope but one can generally judge it's condition providing the faults are not hidden by lots of fouling. Dirty bore can hide things. If the bore is dirty then ask them to clean it. if they are not willing to ask yourself WHY?

If you can fire a test grouping before buying then all the better