Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time with my .308

Cool First time with my .308

Hey guys

I managed to get out today and try my new Howa 308.

I've shot several 20 cal rifles (222,22-250,223,243) but had never shot anything bigger so i was a little nervous I purchased a new Howa from Sporting Supplies in Bloxwich (Top blokes) and tried it out today with some 146 grain ggg surplus ammo.

When i started getting used to the recoil i got a little more comfy with the gun, i do think i may have developed a flinch however which i will need to get rid of (any advice would be greatly appreciated). After every 5-10 shots i ran a few patches down the barrel and carried on and found the groups started to close up a little each time.

I'm really happy with the rifle but i will definitely be investing in a muzzle break as it will be used for range use only for the time being.

The trigger out the box is surprisingly good
    The bolt has a great feel to it and ejects with ease
    The Hogue stock isn't as flexible as i thought it would be on the fore-end, even on the bipod it still left the barrel free floating.
    The overall weight isn't too bad either for a 24" heavy barrel!

The only thing i don't like is the safety catch could be a little bit more well made other than that im over the moon

Overall the gun shot well producing sub moa at 110 yards

Attachment 25791Attachment 25790

hi nice one.i will be geting one but sporting barrel .at the end of march. good shoting.ian

Quote Originally Posted by Sabian223 View Post
    Hey guys

I managed to get out today and try my new Howa 308.

I've shot several 20 cal rifles (222,22-250,223,243) but had never shot anything bigger so i was a little nervous I purchased a new Howa from Sporting Supplies in Bloxwich (Top blokes) and tried it out today with some 146 grain ggg surplus ammo.

When i started getting used to the recoil i got a little more comfy with the gun, i do think i may have developed a flinch however which i will need to get rid of (any advice would be greatly appreciated). After every 5-10 shots i ran a few patches down the barrel and carried on and found the groups started to close up a little each time.

I'm really happy with the rifle but i will definitely be investing in a muzzle break as it will be used for range use only for the time being.

The trigger out the box is surprisingly good
    The bolt has a great feel to it and ejects with ease
    The Hogue stock isn't as flexible as i thought it would be on the fore-end, even on the bipod it still left the barrel free floating.
    The overall weight isn't too bad either for a 24" heavy barrel!

The only thing i don't like is the safety catch could be a little bit more well made other than that im over the moon

Overall the gun shot well producing sub moa at 110 yards

Attachment 25791Attachment 25790
    Hope you like shooting on your lonesome ownsome...
    Muzzle brakes are not sociable utensils and are subject to some extra regulations on some ranges - like having no-one next to your for 2 lanes.

Recoil on a heavy rifle like that shouldn't be an issue really, maybe get someone to watch your hold behaviour. Could be you've picked up a sub-optimal habit which you've not noticed with milder recoiling rifles?

Nice groups though.

gET A GOOD MODERATOR THAT WILL TAME THE 308 AND MAKE IT SHOOT LIKE .222

I agree with 6pointer, get a mod on it and you will find it more comfortable to shoot.
    I have a .308 but don't find it hard on the recoil ( moderated) but does lift a bit at the muzzle compared to the .243. Great cal though from Muntys through to the biggest Red Stags.

Ive got a mod on order so ill definitely try that before going down the muzzle break route

Cheers guys

Doesn't look like you're flinching from your card. As Milligan says get an observer to check. If you are flinching have a session with a lighter calibre until you relax and then reintroduce the .308 and keep shooting till you're satisfied you've overcome it.
    If you're not sure you're flinching, a good way to remove all doubt is to get your observer to load your magazine for you but with one dry round in it somewhere without telling you when he's going to do it. That is a spent cartridge with a bullet in it so it feeds but no powder. When you get to the dud any flinch will be very obvious. In fact I've found dry firing with empty shells at a proper targets with proper posture has helped my trigger technique.
    The rifle makes a lot of difference to recoil. My m595 has a medium weight barrel and no mod or brake but its very light shooting. I'm shooting 150 grn bullets with 47.3 grns of powder but I can see the bullet strike and the recoil never feels excessive. I've shot heavier rifles in the same calibre that felt livelier. My old Parker Hale was a donkey. Obviously carefully sized rounds and a good action makes a difference, but I'm sure gun fit does as well. And I must say I've had few guns that felt as 'right' in the shoulder as the Tikka.

Got the same rifle (in 308) and use ASE Ultra S series SL5 mod. Highly recommend the mod! Had a bi-pod on my hogue stock, but it seemed to drastically effect the grouping so removed it and it improved. Was not 100% sure if it were the bi-pod or not, but happy living with out it on.

I found myself flinching before the second stage of the trigger jerking the gun to the right. After around 20-30 shots this did start to calm down. I guess its like when you fire your first 12 bore as a kid? I'm gonna dry some dry firing (with cases) next time im out. Im a member of offas dyke rifle club and i will ask someone to check my form next time im at Kingsbury. I was shooting a 223 for a good while before getting my hands on the 308 which could be a big reason to why im flinching.

Thanks for your help

I noticed on the bipod it is jumping a fair bit to the right (and it keeps coming loose) the one i use is a harris but im gonna take the bags out next time and give those a shot! The mod ive had is either gonna be a sonic 45 or wildcat predator as it came with the package deal only when it came to the shop it was 1/2 rather than 5/8 thread so a new one had to be ordered. Same again Thanks for the advice :-)