Thread: Which .223 bullet ?

Which .223 bullet ?

Here's a query that some may be able to give a definitive answer to.

In my .223 I use store bought Federal Power Shock, 55 Grain SPs made in USA and RWS 55 Grain SPs. made in Germany

My question is ; which cartridge is or should be the most accurate ?

Looking forward to your answers.

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

'should be' RWS as they've a high standard of quality assurance built in to their process but Federal make solid reliable ammo by all accounts!. The big test with this that will tell them apart on paper is your rifle and does it like the cartridge. Different powders, seating etc can just unsettle performance rifle to rifle. One rifle might love what another hates... funny how these things can work out.

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    Here's a query that some may be able to give a definitive answer to.

In my .223 I use store bought Federal Power Shock, 55 Grain SPs made in USA and RWS 55 Grain SPs. made in Germany

My question is ; which cartridge is or should be the most accurate ?

Looking forward to your answers.

JR
    no one can answer that question mate your going to have to fire them in your rifle to see which one is best.

Strange question as ammo is no easy thing to predict.
    I've a Tikka T3 that hates Sako 55grain Soft Point but give it good reloads with Hornady, Nosler or Sierra bullets and it'll put 3 rounds in under 1/2" at 100 yards including the first from a cold barrel. The Sako won't put three in three inches at the same range.
    I've always liked RWS although in my first rifle (a 243 Ruger No 1, back in 1983) they have been the only round I've discovered had no powder in them...fortunately on a range day and fortunately the primer didn't shift the bullet...

Thanks for your answers but I don't think I fully explained my question. What I meant was, regardless of a particular Rifle one bullet must be inherently more accurate than the other - - for the sme reason a BT has got the edge over an SP - - the same reasoning must apply to two SPs or am I wrong with that assumption ?

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Thanks for your answers but I don't think I fully explained my question. What I meant was, regardless of a particular Rifle one bullet must be inherently more accurate than the other - - for the sme reason a BT has got the edge over an SP - - the same reasoning must apply to two SPs or am I wrong with that assumption ?

JR
    All depends buddy, in theory, a bt, or match bullet should be a little better due to aerodynamics, but at 300m you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in my 150gr softpoints and 175sierra match kings with my .308, it all depends on ogive length/angle, boat tail or not, powder charges, pressures and velocity.
    What it seems to me, is you are trying to compare one 'softpoint' to another,which is a bit like saying, is the fiesta a better car than the fiesta ? , and as said before, it's as much down to individual rifles as much as the ammo going through it. If you can get the (correct) published bc's for each, in theory, the higher one 'should' be the better bullet (at longer range)

hope this helps, but probably not....... Lol
    Pete

two SPs or am I wrong
    The results could be identical or very different. I've some 55grain SP Hornady's that'll shoot as well as Nosler or Sierra BTs (or Sierra MKs) but I've also used Sako, as I said before, same weight and it was like a scattergun. Same gun, same time, same location.
    It's the load most of the time and the bullet second.
    Mind you, if you choose to load bullet sweepings from the floor then it might be different (I had some Winchester power points a long time back that were dreadful until they were sorted into weight groups) or, maybe not!
    You've got to try them in your rifle and see...I'm afraid.

JR
    technically bullets are not accurate.
    rifles are

what could be deemed 1000yd custom match ammo for a heavyweight range queen rifle may not group for toffee in a sporter

am sure RWS will tell you their ammo is higher quality or made with higher tolerance, suspect when you took them all apart and measured them there probably isn't much in it!

Going back to the original question the answer has already been given by several people - whatever shoots well in your rifle.

More importantly though I think should be the suitability of the bullet for the task it is being used for. After all most not all but most bullets of this calibre from the U.S. are really intended as varmint bullets, while I believe that this RWS bullet is actually designed for roe. Please correct me if I am thinking of the wrong RWS bullet.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Try some ppu if you can get hold of any at a 10 a box of 20. My tikka t3 loves them I use to shoot norm 53 gr and tryed some ppu 55 gr soft points and got tighter groups than with the norm which were 20 a box