Scott country folding high seat

HighSeatA_zps18fe1bec.jpg

I "bought" one of these and put it up today, that's two Harkila 4.5m freestanding high seats, a Harkila 4.25m tree stand plus the portable in about 14 days.
For the record I'm less than impressed with the Harkila 360's, their tree stand is quite good and the portable is fine - given that it is a portable and therefore in some respects a compromise. It's not a light weight but I carried mine about a quarter of a mile without much trouble, apart from the annoying squeaks and clattering, sort this if you are carrying some distance. The rifle rest is positioned with two stays and it takes only minutes, likewise the seat lock. There is a single support post under the seat which should be a captive nut and a hand wheel bolt, the flimsy wing nuts begs to be dropped and from 2.5m you would stand no chance of finding it. I'll probably come up with a modification for that some time.
The rifle rest isn't the most solid and I would have liked a bit more foam covering but it is adequate. Fixing the high seat to the tree is very easy, a foot on the bottom rung and the rest of the assembly pushed upwards until everything is locked which it does automatically. Once fully extended it can be leaned and shuffled until it feels reasonable then the seat straps can be put round the tree and secured, I found this pretty easy with no Norman Wisdom like drama. I also wound the two carrying straps round the tree which gave even more security though I'm not sure this is intended.
Once everything is fastened off climbing in is straight forward and the seat is a reasonable size, given the short time it takes to erect the high seat which was only about 10 minutes (my first attempt), it felt safe and secure. Would I recommend it ? Yes I would, even though it felt a little low after the other seats it is a big advantage being up there and it is certainly portable, what more can I say ?

Last edited:
HighSeatA_zps18fe1bec.jpg

I "bought" one of these and put it up today, that's two Harkila 4.5m freestanding high seats, a Harkila 4.25m tree stand plus the portable in about 14 days.
For the record I'm less than impressed with the Harkila 360's, their tree stand is quite good and the portable is fine - given that it is a portable and therefore in some respects a compromise. It's not a light weight but I carried mine about a quarter of a mile without much trouble, apart from the annoying squeaks and clattering, sort this if you are carrying some distance. The rifle rest is positioned with two stays and it takes only minutes, likewise the seat lock. There is a single support post under the seat which should be a captive nut and a hand wheel bolt, the flimsy wing nuts begs to be dropped and from 2.5m you would stand no chance of finding it. I'll probably come up with a modification for that some time.
The rifle rest isn't the most solid and I would have liked a bit more foam covering but it is adequate. Fixing the high seat to the tree is very easy, a foot on the bottom rung and the rest of the assembly pushed upwards until everything is locked which it does automatically. Once fully extended it can be leaned and shuffled until it feels reasonable then the seat straps can be put round the tree and secured, I found this pretty easy with no Norman Wisdom like drama. I also wound the two carrying straps round the tree which gave even more security though I'm not sure this is intended.
Once everything is fastened off climbing in is straight forward and the seat is a reasonable size, given the short time it takes to erect the high seat which was only about 10 minutes (my first attempt), it felt safe and secure. Would I recommend it ? Yes I would, even though it felt a little low after the other seats it is a big advantage being up there and it is certainly portable, what more can I say ?

Did you find the back rest gave you pain in the shoulder blades? I felt it needs to lean back more. It reckon it needs about six more inch on the seat forcing in forward. Agree with the rest of your comments. Out of interest how tall are you?

Funny you should mention about the back rest, I changed the position of the seat tonight which now gives me a better angle for the area the deer are coming from, now that I am sat square in the chair the bar does tend to dig into your shoulder blades. I think a seperate back rest or cushion could be strapped to the tree which would solve the issue, Harkila have a similar setup for their tree stand. I also noticed the chair bracing strap which also supports the rifle rest should really be the same heavier duty strap and ratchet that secures the top of the ladder. The problem is the strap slackens off very easily causing the rifle rest to move if you put you weight on the back of the chair. I am 6' 2" so the seat is a tad small for me but I accept this as it's a portable.

Folding high seat

Pros

I got this for a very good price. Well made and once you have put it up and taken it down a couple of times, it is easy to use and easy to transport. I have used it twice this weekend and I can say I am pleased with it so far. I already have 2 fixed position high seats and this will make a welcome addition.

Cons

All easily fixed, like other people have already remarked on. Nice bright safety stickers, and a real pain to get off. Everybody is frightened to get their arses sued off. Black gloss paint finish. A can of olive drab spray paint soon sorted that out. Also as someone has already pointed out, to many screwed fittings, easily replaced with 8mm spring shaft locking pins, leaving only 2 screwed fittings for the shooting rail adjustment.

Basically it is what is is, a portable high seat. There will always be compromises but I've used mine around the woods and it does the job. Not as high as some but you wouldn't want to carry those very far. Value for money.

Back