bullet weight vs wind

Ted47

lighter bullets are affected by wind more than heavier bullets, so do you use different weights for different conditions or try and guess the windage or just dont go shooting if its windy???

Is there a good weight which is still fast and flat but not so badly affected by the wind?

I was plinking on my hill farm on Sunday and noticed quite a difference between 200m and 300m using 50gr 22-250 rounds.

Wind is a bitch isn't she ! Honestly the best thing you can do find a bullet that works well in your rifle then work on your wind judging skills ?

Under 250 yards the wind will not in most cases make a huge difference, an inch or two perhaps unless it is really blowing hard. Beyond 250 yards and shooting accurately becomes all about judging wind and range as accurately as possible. Saying that your 22 cf rounds will get blown around more than my 168 grain 7mm matchkings. All you can do is choose a heavier and more aerodynamic bullet if your rifle will stabilise them. Otherwise get a bigger rifle!

cant comment on the 22-250
but I try to use the heaviest bullet possible in the .222
I have moved to 52g Amax over 50gr Vmax (and either of those over 40gr)
and I have just sourced some 55gr Nosler BT's for when the Amax dry up

you can account for drop much more easily than wind

you can account for drop much more easily than wind

+1

range/drops can easily be accounted for, laser rangefinders, dope cards, ballistic calculators.
But even with an anemometer, you only get the wind at your position, yes it helps, but judging the wind is the hardest part of longer range shooting, any competent person should be able to pull a 8" group at 1000yds in still conditions, even when there is a consistent wind, but it takes some good wind reading skills to do that on the average 'blowy' day.

As bewsher says, you can account for drop,
wind takes skill, skill takes practice, and a heavy bullet to increase your odds

regards
Pete

On a rifle range it is normal to have flags flying, not just to warn folks that shooting is happening but to help to gauge wind strength and direction.The longer a bullet is in flight in a side wind then that wind will push it off line i.e. at 100 yds flight time with your .22/250 at 400 ft/sec will be very short,but at 300 yds much longer as the bullet slows .Light bullets slow quickly ,Heavier ,more streamlined bullets ( high ballistic coefficient ) keep initial velocity much better so that at 300 yds it's flight time might be the same as your 22/250 but beyond that the difference will be much greater . Heavy streamlined bullets go faster longer than short stumpy light ones .

On a rifle range it is normal to have flags flying, not just to warn folks that shooting is happening but to help to gauge wind strength and direction.The longer a bullet is in flight in a side wind then that wind will push it off line i.e. at 100 yds flight time with your .22/250 at 400 ft/sec will be very short,but at 300 yds much longer as the bullet slows .Light bullets slow quickly ,Heavier ,more streamlined bullets ( high ballistic coefficient ) keep initial velocity much better so that at 300 yds it's flight time might be the same as your 22/250 but beyond that the difference will be much greater . Heavy streamlined bullets go faster longer than short stumpy light ones .
Red flags indicate range in use, red/white indicate limits of arc (ie when doing cross lane practices) blue/yellow are the wind flags, but not on my range, unless asked for, they stay packed away lol.
Pete

going to see what slightly heavier bullets fly like in a wind , otherwise I might aswell use use the bigger rifle.

So, out with the trusty Sierra Infinity Suite (Ideal for armchair shooting...)
22-250 running a "Sierra" max load...10 mph wind from 3 o'clock
.224 dia. 40 gr. BlitzKing at 4200 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 11.05 inches
.224 dia. 50 gr. BlitzKing at 3800 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 9.23 inches
.224 dia. 69 gr. HPBT MatchKing at 3250 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 8.88 inches

Something more extreme?
243 Winchester running a "Sierra" max load...10 mph wind from 3 o'clock
55 gr. BlitzKing at 3600 Feet per Second drift at 300 yards 11.27 inches
107 gr. HPBT MatchKing at 2900 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 5.57 inches

So, out with the trusty Sierra Infinity Suite (Ideal for armchair shooting...)
22-250 running a "Sierra" max load...10 mph wind from 3 o'clock
.224 dia. 40 gr. BlitzKing at 4200 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 11.05 inches
.224 dia. 50 gr. BlitzKing at 3800 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 9.23 inches
.224 dia. 69 gr. HPBT MatchKing at 3250 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 8.88 inches

Something more extreme?
243 Winchester running a "Sierra" max load...10 mph wind from 3 o'clock
55 gr. BlitzKing at 3600 Feet per Second drift at 300 yards 11.27 inches
107 gr. HPBT MatchKing at 2900 Feet per Second, drift at 300 yards 5.57 inches

Ouch, that is extreme. 107gr smk's, I'd like to see a standard 1-10" twist .243 stabilise them. But yes, it does prove a point, what does it say for a .308, 175gr smk at 2700fps out of interest ?

Regards
Pete

Ouch, that is extreme. 107gr smk's, I'd like to see a standard 1-10" twist .243 stabilise them. But yes, it does prove a point, what does it say for a .308, 175gr smk at 2700fps out of interest ?

Regards
Pete

It says ouch that's hot...lists to 2600 fps with that bullet (it's what I use in my 30-06 at about 2750)...
.308 dia. 175 gr. HPBT MatchKing at 2700 Feet per Second, drift 6.6 inches at 300 yards.

It says ouch that's hot...lists to 2600 fps with that bullet (it's what I use in my 30-06 at about 2750)...
.308 dia. 175 gr. HPBT MatchKing at 2700 Feet per Second, drift 6.6 inches at 300 yards.

Oops, typo. And just checked my chrono readings, 2592fps, and I did mean to type 2600.
Cheers
Pete

there is still quite a difference even with heavy loads and a light breeze ( that is a light breeze isn't it , 10mph) looks like wind will also reduce your range if your wanting to be accurately hitting your target. I suppose it will be a good challenge for target shooters .

there is still quite a difference even with heavy loads and a light breeze ( that is a light breeze isn't it , 10mph) looks like wind will also reduce your range if your wanting to be accurately hitting your target. I suppose it will be a good challenge for target shooters .

Why not subscribe to this for a month? http://www.chuckhawks.com/varmint_cartridges.htm Chuck has some interesting articles, some free and some more detailed via subscription.

Also have a read of .22-250 Regards JCS

( that is a light breeze isn't it , 10mph)
I guess that depends on your expectations. I remember a year or two ago shooting bunnies in a "light breeze" at about 220 yards and having to aim off a whole body length (i.e. head to tail) with the 22-250 running 40grain VMAX at 3750fps (I load light). There were a lot of fur rugs...

I guess that depends on your expectations. I remember a year or two ago shooting bunnies in a "light breeze" at about 220 yards and having to aim off a whole body length (i.e. head to tail) with the 22-250 running 40grain VMAX at 3750fps (I load light). There were a lot of fur rugs...

Expectations? I was looking for confirmation as to what a 10mph wind was on the beaufont scale . Light to moderate breeze . Sorry .

Did you know from experience to aim at that point or just good judgement, I was also thinking about gusts how do you compensate for those .

Expectations? I was looking for confirmation as to what a 10mph wind was on the beaufont scale . Light to moderate breeze . Sorry .

Did you know from experience to aim at that point or just good judgement, I was also thinking about gusts how do you compensate for those .

Yes, moderate to light breeze. Beaufort 3 I think (wikipedia, sorry).
I've spent about 20 years on ranges and it sort of implants a good guess in the brain as you see what the wind flags do and you also feel the wind at the same time then, hopefully, hit the target!
So, experience based on repeated guessing (good and bad) and a knowledge of how the round drifts. Most standard rounds (308, 223, 30-06) all drift in a pretty similar manner with a standard bullet. Go to one extreme or another and you'll need to recalibrate. So, 10mph with the 30-06 (or 308 above) is about 2 minutes at 300 yards with the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock direction.
Gusts...I tend to assess the lulls and peaks and pick the one that is the longest provided the wind's not horrid. With that I'll wait for a lull, if there is one.

Have you seen something like the AJ Parker wind Calculator?
AJ Parker Wind Calculator (A little piece of British History) - The Stalking Directory Photo Gallery

Last edited:
Back