Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any one use a monocular ?

any one use a monocular ?

doe's any one as a monocular rather than bino's ? reason im asking is im thinking about buying a monocular instead of bino's as every time im looking through bins i takes a bit of adjusting before i get a clear view, though when i shut an eye, can see perfectly instantly, any good budget models to look out for ? all views welcome

cheers

hi using a monocular constant would give see eye strain one you have set up you binoculars to the distance your eyes are apar then there is no problem at all when correct you see a perfect round image.
    ajr

Quote Originally Posted by jigga View Post
    doe's any one as a monocular rather than bino's ? reason im asking is im thinking about buying a monocular instead of bino's as every time im looking through bins i takes a bit of adjusting before i get a clear view, though when i shut an eye, can see perfectly instantly, any good budget models to look out for ? all views welcome

cheers
    I use one when I go wildfowling only a cheap one but it certainly does the job light and takes up very little room.....

Zeiss did a 10x25 which was quite good, options are limited.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I use a monocular Swaro rangefinder.
    Its of great use as I have clear vision only in my left eye and all the rangefinder bins have the ranging in the right eye!! So thats why I shoot left handed (left eyed!)

I find it great and if you have a markedly different prescription in each eye then adjusting bins will be tricky!

Give it a go as they can be found at a bargain price.
    Whilst you wont get depth of field it wont take you long to get it adjusted to your better eye.

Fraser
    damnant quodnon intelligunt

Quote Originally Posted by fraserd View Post
    I use a monocular Swaro rangefinder.....

Fraser

I do too. But then I am essentially blind in the left eye..
    Brian.

I've had several of them but none of any quality. I like them for speed and ease of carry. Used a Leica monocular/laser range finder this week. That was something: Range, angle of inclination and how many clicks to adjust the scope.

Took all the fun out of it.~Muir

If you have reasonable eyesight then there are a lot of advantages to binoculars.

As well as giving depth perception from the stereo effect, the brain processes the images from both eyes and gets much more information this way. This is particularly obvious in low light.

Its interesting to try binoculars in poor light, try closing one eye at a time, I think you will find the monocular view is much poorer. You may also discover that one eye has better low light and colour performance than the other. In my case its the none-dominant one. So for me a monocular would be no good, and the way the brain combines the binocular images gives me much better sight in low light. I had never noticed this before, until I took up stalking.

In woodland stalking the glasses should be heavily used. Nevermind eyestrain, the much better performance of the binos is worth the extra weight.

For the hill the glasses are used less, and the light is usually better, hence the traditional telescope (or modern spotting scope) can be more useful for the extra magnification. Perhaps a suitable monocular might do instead.

If you only have good use from one eye then of course the monocular makes good sense. They used to be popular a long time ago when any binoculars were relatively extremely expensive, perhaps unaffordable, but thats no longer the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jigga View Post
    every time im looking through bins i takes a bit of adjusting before i get a clear view, though when i shut an eye, can see perfectly instantly
    This is only a problem if borrowing somebody else's. Once you have adjusted them for the distance between your eyes they should be fine. If the hinge is too loose to stay put, I suppose you could e.g. make a little wedge to hold them the right distance apart, and tape it in place.

Some older or cheap binos can be fussy with eye position particularly wearing glasses, but better ones have solved this problem. You will instantly realise the difference, it almost feels like zooming into the scene when you use them, and they don't have to be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    If you have reasonable eyesight then there are a lot of advantages to binoculars.

As well as giving depth perception from the stereo effect, the brain processes the images from both eyes and gets much more information this way. This is particularly obvious in low light.

Its interesting to try binoculars in poor light, try closing one eye at a time, I think you will find the monocular view is much poorer. You may also discover that one eye has better low light and colour performance than the other. In my case its the none-dominant one. So for me a monocular would be no good, and the way the brain combines the binocular images gives me much better sight in low light. I had never noticed this before, until I took up stalking.

In woodland stalking the glasses should be heavily used. Nevermind eyestrain, the much better performance of the binos is worth the extra weight.

For the hill the glasses are used less, and the light is usually better, hence the traditional telescope (or modern spotting scope) can be more useful for the extra magnification. Perhaps a suitable monocular might do instead.

If you only have good use from one eye then of course the monocular makes good sense. They used to be popular a long time ago when any binoculars were relatively extremely expensive, perhaps unaffordable, but thats no longer the situation.
    Sharpie, you are entirely correct. The view through my Swaro LRF's is very "flat", ie depth perception is poor - I can look at two beasts through the monocular who appear to be standing beside each other, when you range them you could find that one is 60m further away than the other. I would not recommend them in place of binoculars for anyone with two good eyes. However, they are not a bad compromise for me.
    Brian.