Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 bullet weight and powder

308 bullet weight and powder

I want to start reloading .308 and was wondering what was the best combo of bullet and powder is.

any views welcome

150 grain from sierra, nosler, speer hornady or barnes, between 44 and 46 grains of Viht N140 is oft quoted and will invariably do well. The 308 is an easy cartridge to work with, just take it steady at first and check and double check that you have completed each step properly.

I'll give you some advice that is hard learnt but in the UK probably the most important thing to know about shooting or reloading:

Use whatever powder and bullet you can get a reliable local supply of.

I have about 6 different loads for my 308 and at 100 yards my rifle shoots them all into a group small enough to be good for deer out to 300 yards. Someday I'm going to load up 1 of each and shoot them into the same target and post the results for a laugh. The bottom line is that as long as you are sensible you can, with a bit of fine tuning, make your 308 shoot well with almost anything you can put into it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    150 grain from sierra, nosler, speer hornady or barnes, between 44 and 46 grains of Viht N140 is oft quoted and will invariably do well. The 308 is an easy cartridge to work with, just take it steady at first and check and double check that you have completed each step properly.
    +1. 44.5gr N140 behind Hornady 150gr btsp's gives me 2750fps and very good accurancy.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I used to have a few different loads for my 308 but most probably because of laziness on my part I now only use one,but now that the question has been raised and just for the heck of it now the evenings are getting longer, I too might just try experimenting with various bullet powder combos, variety being the spice of life and all that lol, for now though my pet load is

Powder Alliant RL15 44grns
    Bullet hornady interlock 150 gr btsp or flat base
    OAL 2.180"

remember always start at min load and work up in 0.5 grn increments and if you don't already, get a copy of modern reloading by Richard Lee invaluable reading for beginner or experienced alike brilliant book !!!

good luck

Damian
    Last edited by dlz90; 12-03-2013 at 22:55.

In the past I'd always used Vihtavuori N140 for my 308 /150grain bullets & had always been happy with it. (96% of Vit max powder load giving 2730 ft/sec & great accuracy)

But as I'd run out of N140 & I have a couple of tubs of Alliant Reloder 15, this last week I loaded up some 155 grain 308 Sierra Matchkings with Reloder 15. --- Started at 92% of my Alliant book load (max 46.3grains for 150 grain bullets) & as usual went up in 2% steps to 100%.

Took them to Cawdor range on Sunday & shot off four of each from my Sako 85 (nearly new) - some at 100 yards & some at 200. Weather wasn't ideal - cold with snow flurries & shooting into the sun, so my shooting wasn't at its best.

BUT-----
    All were accurate enough for stalking (I know they're match bullets & I won't be stalking with them so don't start!) All my shots were within 3" square at 200yards (1.5" at 100 yards) & no sign of pressure at all. The scope is seven power & my eyesight ain't wot it used to be so probably true grouping is much better than this.

So next weekend I'll be putting some over the chrono to see how fast they're going. If they're up at 2800 ft/sec I'll be happy & do some more load development by really trying to get my technique right & seeing which load shoots the best groups & then I'll play with COAL & neck tension.

If velocity is down at the 100% loading, I will load some more to try for more velocity with higher charges as pressure doesn't seem to be an issue.

It seems that Reloder 15 is very good, predictable and tolerant - ideal for mid weight 308.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    In the past I'd always used Vihtavuori N140 for my 308 /150grain bullets & had always been happy with it. (96% of Vit max powder load giving 2730 ft/sec & great accuracy)

But as I'd run out of N140 & I have a couple of tubs of Alliant Reloder 15, this last week I loaded up some 155 grain 308 Sierra Matchkings with Reloder 15. --- Started at 92% of my Alliant book load (max 46.3grains for 150 grain bullets) & as usual went up in 2% steps to 100%.

Took them to Cawdor range on Sunday & shot off four of each from my Sako 85 (nearly new) - some at 100 yards & some at 200. Weather wasn't ideal - cold with snow flurries & shooting into the sun, so my shooting wasn't at its best.

BUT-----
    All were accurate enough for stalking (I know they're match bullets & I won't be stalking with them so don't start!) All my shots were within 3" square at 200yards (1.5" at 100 yards) & no sign of pressure at all. The scope is seven power & my eyesight ain't wot it used to be so probably true grouping is much better than this.

So next weekend I'll be putting some over the chrono to see how fast they're going. If they're up at 2800 ft/sec I'll be happy & do some more load development by really trying to get my technique right & seeing which load shoots the best groups & then I'll play with COAL & neck tension.

If velocity is down at the 100% loading, I will load some more to try for more velocity with higher charges as pressure doesn't seem to be an issue.

It seems that Reloder 15 is very good, predictable and tolerant - ideal for mid weight 308.

Ian

Sheezzz!!!!!! maybe we should keep this RL15 thing 2 ourselves ?????????????????? lol !!!

Varget will do good things too with 308 as will most other medium burning rate powders

Federal's "Gold Match" 168 grain load is reliably rumored to me 41 grains of H-4895 and a Sierra Match King seated with the boat tail just below the neck-shoulder junction. I have shot this load and it is very (very!) accurate from my Savage Long Range Hunter. I recently used the same load but for the exchange of PPU 165 grain BTSP for the bullet. Fired from a Mod 70 308 it shot easy sub-moa groups.~Muir

hornady 150 grain sst
    45 grains of vit 150
    OAL 2.825
    federal magnum primers

travel at 2700 fps out of a 20 incher and stop fallow deer in there tracks real good