Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future testing of tracking dogs

Future testing of tracking dogs

Have just got back from 4 days in England seeing my new grandson a doing a bit of fallow stalking. After talking to a couple of stalkers while i was in the UK it got me thinking that if you have this test and i have a rough idea what is being proposed. Who will judge these tests ? Are there any qualified tracking judges in the UK? If the test is to be based on the Scandinavian model has any one been in touch with the hunting organisations in Scandinavia to try and come over and see what judging entails.
    If this qualification is to mean anything then it should be judged by people who are as qualified as judges in any other field trial .
    I would not be happy to have my tracking dog judged by some self appointed person without them having been trained as a judge for the job.

What do we need tests for some of the worst dogs I have ever see work have this or that test.

The best way to tell if a dog is any good good is to take it out to work on a real runner, the stalking world is small so you soon find out who has a good and who has a crap dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Stand Buck
    What do we need tests for some of the worst dogs I have ever see work have this or that test.

The best way to tell if a dog is any good good is to take it out to work on a real runner, the stalking world is small so you soon find out who has a good and who has a crap dog.
    StandBuck
    you hav this bee in your bonnet that seems to be stinging you
    best way is to smack and flatten it
    that way it won't hurt anymore
    we need tests not just for the dogs but also to see if the handler also is upto the job
    you are working as a team and that is what counts
    as for the stalking world being small
    it is not
    but the nature of our country, means we hav a great grapevine in action that works on daily updates, good and bad
    yes if a dog or it's handler is not as good as first thought then i'm sure it will get noticed quite quickly but we should not be to quick to judge
    Alan
    I see you hav not been updated on this, quite surprised by that
    none the less
    hope your visit was pleasant
    but how did the Grandson fair???

Hej Rich, afraid i'm still lagging behind in with the latest updates .
    I was just thinking about the judging as i said in my last post.
    I belong to a spaniel club who hold field trials to English rules. England is seen here as the leading country in the world for spaniels and retrievers training and tests. The club now has A panel judges who have spent several years learning how to judge trials by coming to England and learning from visiting English trial judges.

So if there is to be a test and a register in England for tracking dogs that will count for anything should not the would be judges get themselves educated in the ways of Scandinavian, German or what ever tracking if this is the model they intend to follow.

The New grandson was great and i shot a fallow pricket

Alan
    i agree
    the UK is ruled as a class in it's own when it comes to field trials
    in my younger days i was working towards being a B panel judge , i was pretty young then
    as for Tracking tests in the UK and affiliated judges , plans already in motion
    just about to start the ball rolling shortly if all goes to plan 8)
    anyone in the UK interested in this side of tracking then please feel free to PM
    ATB

deer dogs

I'm in the working dog camp, I don't want something that has a bit of coloured paper & a bloody ribbon, I want something that can do the job!, It's a bit like the guy who has all the gear & no idea! It's not a field trial it's a real world tracking job. 8)

deer dogs

On a lighter note I really wouldn't mind one of those ballistic calibration hounds that Griff has, I think it's called Pepsi, really good over 100metres.

I fully agree that field trials are not " the bible " . I am about 20 years in Spaniels . I know what I see and I am not afraid to say what goes wrong .

" Verein Hirschmann " which the international organisation for Hannover tracking dogs organises every year an international meeting to compare dogs in the field . This is no agility playground .
    A few years ago they did their test on a big driven shoot in Hungary . All the dogs get a "natural " track on wounded game . Every year they change place within the countries which are member of the group.
    To have an idea , look in the video section . There are a few videos of driven boar shooting . This isn't playing , this is real work.

Re: deer dogs

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    I'm in the working dog camp, I don't want something that has a bit of coloured paper & a bloody ribbon, I want something that can do the job!, It's a bit like the guy who has all the gear & no idea! It's not a field trial it's a real world tracking job. 8)
    With you on that one Field trial and working test dogs are all about show and flashiness, not about being able to work all day through brambles, or over heather. It is not about the handler either good well trained dogs will, and dose work for anyone. Many times someone else has borrowed a dog of mine to sucessfully find a lost deer.

This testing all sounds a bit too much like people trying to make a name for themselves and then when certificates become complusory they will be able to make a nice bit of money. What will qualify these 'experts' how many lost deer and runners will they have to of found in the real world?

I reckon they must have shot all wild UK species and be shooting (themselves) no less than 150 deer a year that should make them properly experianced in the real world of following up deer.

I like the ebay star thing, you know more trades more stars.

Each tracking dog could get a different colour star for the number of genuinely (been looking for an hour without the dog and still no idea, sort of lost) lost deer they have found.

I bet theres a few surprises amongst the experts, so lets hear it how many lost deer has your dog found?

My little Teckel had none when i got her from Sweden and now has 6 proper lost to her credit 1 year on. One was best part of 500m in the dark in woodland.