Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too mutch poweder

too mutch poweder

please can someone help this may seem a stupid question to some of you but i just can not figure this one out . i have loaded 40 308 rounds 150gn hornady sst 44gn varget . something i always do after loading some rounds is shake the round next to my ear to hear the powder.very basic but tells me that there is room for expansion. this time 10 ish out pof the 40 seemed very full not a good sighn ime thinking. so did the ear test on all of them . it seems all of the rounds that are dubious are of the same brass. so check max cl 2.015 ok check col 2735 with sst ok have not trimed case . so scales come in to question varies checks and they seem ok feeling very fuking puzeled. not been reloading for very long so am a bit nervouse. asked a friend to to pull a round and check powder wait just in case result ok. question should ther allways be room left inside the case ie should you always be able to hear the powder when you shake the cartridge. this might be obvious to some but it is really worreing me

If in doubt pull them and start again. I too tend to do the shaking test. You could have overcharged or not charged at all. Both equally as bad but for different reasons. I was always taught to take a small torch and peer into the batch of filled cases before I start to seat the bullets. I did once find one without a charge! Double charges generally impossible in rifle cartridges with sensible powders unlike pistol cartridges with small charges of fast powder

Have you weighed the assembled 308 rounds to see if there are any that are obviously much heavier, check your scales are ok, might be safer to pull the bullets and start again making sure your scales are ok, 44gns of varget is the starting load is it not for 150gn bullets so should be plenty of room in the loaded cases, better to be safe than sorry.
    Sure some wiser loaders will have a better answer.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

yes ido check every round with a torch before seating a bullet. yes i have weighed the bullets. my mate has text to tell me that the round he pulled was 43 gn on his beam scales so thats ok. ita a worry

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    yes ido check every round with a torch before seating a bullet. yes i have weighed the bullets. my mate has text to tell me that the round he pulled was 43 gn on his beam scales so thats ok. ita a worry
    My 308 loads with 44gr varget don't 'shake' either, you need quite a 'gap' to hear the powder move.
    Regards
    Pete

please can someone help this may seem a stupid question to some of you but i just can not figure this one out . i have loaded 40 308 rounds 150gn hornady sst 44gn varget . something i always do after loading some rounds is shake the round next to my ear to hear the powder.very basic but tells me that there is room for expansion. this time 10 ish out pof the 40 seemed very full not a good sighn ime thinking. so did the ear test on all of them . it seems all of the rounds that are dubious are of the same brass. so check max cl 2.015 ok check col 2735 with sst ok have not trimed case . so scales come in to question varies checks and they seem ok feeling very fuking puzeled. not been reloading for very long so am a bit nervouse. asked a friend to to pull a round and check powder wait just in case result ok. question should ther allways be room left inside the case ie should you always be able to hear the powder when you shake the cartridge. this might be obvious to some but it is really worreing me
    To approx check you scale, try weighing a 150 grain bullet head, normally the bullet weight is more or less spot on, at least it will give you an idea how far your scales are out.

atb blue.
    Last edited by Blue400; 14-03-2013 at 06:27.

What do you mean that "all of the rounds that are dubious are of the same brass"?? The others aren't?~Muir

.. . it seems all of the rounds that are dubious are of the same brass.
    I personally wouldn't mix brands of brass or vintages of brass. I would develop a load per brand of brass and also keep the brass segregated in terms of number of firings and number of annealings. I once watched someone shoot with three different brands of brass and they struggled to place the shots in a 4 inch circle at 100yds. I suspect your dubious rounds have brass that is slightly heavier. Finally, I don't batch fill the cases with powder, I fill one case and then seat a bullet. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    What do you mean that "all of the rounds that are dubious are of the same brass"?? The others aren't?~Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue400 View Post
    To approx check you scale, try weighing a 150 grain bullet head, normally the bullet weight is more or less spot on, at least it will give you an idea how far your scales are out.

atb blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I personally wouldn't mix brands of brass or vintages of brass. I would develop a load per brand of brass and also keep the brass segregated in terms of number of firings and number of annealings. I once watched someone shoot with three different brands of brass and they struggled to place the shots in a 4 inch circle at 100yds. I suspect your dubious rounds have brass that is slightly heavier. Finally, I don't batch fill the cases with powder, I fill one case and then seat a bullet. Regards JCS
    the scales are not out ckecked them against a beam scale and some digital kitchen scales . yes the only dubious rounds are all the same brand.
    it must be this brass big lesson learnt will be getting some fresh brass. cheers lads

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    My 308 loads with 44gr varget don't 'shake' either, you need quite a 'gap' to hear the powder move.
    Regards
    Pete
    have you ever had any problems