Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aimzonic Moderator - any views?

Aimzonic Moderator - any views?

Gents,

I am toying with the idea of a new moderator and have just read the review of the above in Shooting Sports magazine which would look to be quite a nice piece of kit. Anyone on here had a chance to try one out yet?

I was wanting to go as light as possible so as not to affect the balance of my rifles whilst also being as small as possible with decent sound moderation (yes I know the Holy Grail!) and had been considering either a CCM4 or Roedale or maybe the Hardy. Some recent threads have rather put me off the first two but this new one looks like it could be just what I'm after...

yep, I bought a plus from the BSS. Chuffed to bits with it; on a .243 it's quieter than a mate's .223 with an Utra. doesn't upset the balance of my little BSA .243. Really am very pleased with it.

James

Sounds encouraging - I am in the process of freeing up a slot for a new mod and think I will give one of the compact ones a go in 5.7 for my .17 Rem and .22 c/f's - anyone else got any opinions or experience please?

Any Idea on cost? Also I couldn't work out if the inners were stainless or ali? - Quite similar to the ASE SL5 in terms of weight & size I think.

I read that review with interest. The chap usually speaks as he finds, and he had nothing bad to say.

The internal arrangement is quite different from most other me-to designs. Interesting. Maybe a touch of the unique Lapwood Husher.

aimSport aimZonic

Can't work out how the baffles are put together, or what they are made of, from the drawing on their website, but they must be aluminium from the weight. Unless there are some e.g. steel blast discs they must inevitably be subject to some gas cutting.

The threaded part is SS and can be interchanged for different rifle threads, similar to Ase Utra.

Definitely interesting.

5 year, no questions warranty........... can't be bad.

http://www.alanrhone.com/233.html
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

Quote Originally Posted by Dodder View Post
    had been considering either a CCM4 or Roedale or maybe the Hardy. Some recent threads have rather put me off the first two
    Of those three the CMM4 Alu would be my preference by far.

Its a straightforward design which can either be easily stripped for maintenance, or treated as a disposable item.

When it does wear, replacement baffle sections are only 16

See A-TEC CMM Alloy Moderator - Life Expectancy - Suppressors / Moderators, Bipods, Anything else - UK Varminting

And Maintenance explains how to get the best life, i.e. don't let it get too hot.

Or you could rotate them every time its cleaned, to even out the wear.

Also take a look at the Sonic 35. Baby brother of the Sonic 45. Looks like a good design, uses steel blast discs, maintainable and inexpensive too, particularly so unproofed.

Sound moderators - kirklees guns

The Hardy mod. is not rebuildable with cheap replacement parts, and there are varying reports of its moderation properties. I am also sceptical of claims about the "internal muzzle brake".

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    5 year, no questions warranty........... can't be bad.

http://www.alanrhone.com/233.html
    Do "terms and conditions apply"

I reckon I could burn out any super-light aluminium moderator in half a day on the range.

More honest to make clear the durability limitations, as e.g. A-Tec do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodder View Post
    Gents,

I am toying with the idea of a new moderator and have just read the review of the above in Shooting Sports magazine which would look to be quite a nice piece of kit. Anyone on here had a chance to try one out yet?

I was wanting to go as light as possible so as not to affect the balance of my rifles whilst also being as small as possible with decent sound moderation (yes I know the Holy Grail!) and had been considering either a CCM4 or Roedale or maybe the Hardy. Some recent threads have rather put me off the first two but this new one looks like it could be just what I'm after...
    Paddy at Dane and Co will have one of these to test soon and he's only up the road from you in Tunbridge Wells.

I'd go and have a look at one
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Paddy at Dane and Co will have one of these to test soon and he's only up the road from you in Tunbridge Wells.

I'd go and have a look at one
    Excellent! Paddy now does all my smithing and is a top bloke - I'll give him a shout - thanks!