Poacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of sums up society as a whole.

We turn a blind eye so it carries on.

Very sad state of affairs, action should have been taken straight away if he was a poacher.

You never know he could just be a lad from the housing estate behind recovering a bit of road kill.

If any one thinks i am naive well you don't know me at all. With regards the police that would defo be a no no. Waisting there time and putting my self in a situation i certainly would not want to be. Urban deer management is sometimes about man management and quick thinking.
So if i phoned the police do you think they would have caught him. He was a big chap and i am sure he would not have stood there for an hour waiting . Better to deal with the problem on the spot no fuss and no more poaching. Also no flat tyres broken window screens or any of that silly nonsense. I have managed deer in some go awful places and met many lads that were out for a deer for the pot with dogs or with gun. I have spoken to the police and they say never confront or put your self in danger. Finnbear270 i am sure it was not you this chap had more hair lol.
A14x1 I have never ever reported any one to the police end of.
I really would hate to see some of you lads try and deal with deer in the toon.

Last edited:
I understand it's a tricky situation, but if he was using a firearm, I really don't believe the police wouldn't react - and he would never need to know it was you who called it in?

And are poachers really so brazen as to be out in broad daylight, in full view of housing? It does seem more like a case of confusion about boundaries/permissions?

If any one thinks i am naive well you don't know me at all. With regards the police that would defo be a no no. Waisting there time and putting my self in a situation i certainly would not want to be. Urban deer management is sometimes about man management and quick thinking.
So if i phoned the police do you think they would have caught him. He was a big chap and i am sure he would not have stood there for an hour waiting . Better to deal with the problem on the spot no fuss and no more poaching. Also no flat tyres broken window screens or any of that silly nonsense. I have managed deer in some go awful places and met many lads that were out for a deer for the pot with dogs or with gun. I have spoken to the police and they say never confront or put your self in danger. Finnbear270 i am sure it was not you this chap had more hair lol.

I'm a big chap if I promise not to hang around for an hour, slash your tyres or break your windows can I come up for some free deer stalking? :rofl:

Cool so we can all come shoot deer on your ground and the only penalty IF we get caught is hand over our catch. Cheers
P.S. don't ever go slagging the cops off for not turning when you couldn't be bothered to phone them in the first place, so as far as the cops are aware there is not a crime problem

I see the post has been edited so not sure what was changed,

All i will say is Omg, is that your stance on urban deer management, its more about man management and quick thinking.
Beggars believe that you sit at the top table of two shooting organisations within Scotland.

You could have easily called the police, you had your camera could have taken 101 photos of him, the deer, rifle, car reg etc. You don't have to show your face just hide and then hand over the evidance when they arrived or later down the station. It makes no difference how rough the area is, he did not have to know about the evidance you collected on him

"Better to deal with the problem on the spot no fuss and no more poaching" What happened if he did not want to give up his deer and give you a good kicking anyway then do your motor over and come back again whenever he wants, and who is going to say he will not?

If this really is the fully story and you just let him go then its a very sad day for everyone who has shooting/stalking permissions. What hope have we got when people representing us, if the above is correct and you are chairman from a Deer Management Group and a committee member of The Lowland Deer Network Scotland (LDNS), go around posting threads like this. All you are doing to anyone reading this is opening land up for free stalking, just give me the deer if i catch you.....

If any one thinks i am naive well you don't know me at all. With regards the police that would defo be a no no.

I guess the difference may be we have rural officers here who actively try and work with local estates and ensure a proper response, that and they get to play with their 4x4's
In this situation I'd have called the local bod on his mobile and sat back as confrontation round here would end up in a load of pikeys descending. Hopefully you have your situation dealt with and word doesn't just spread that you won't do anything.

Salt of the earth. ;)

"Hello Mr Policeman"
"Hello Sir how can I be of assistance"

"Well I have just seen a man wearing camouflage and I think he has a rifle next to XYZ housing estate"

Pretty sure that would have you got a fairly quick response.

Oh and P.S Officer I think he was dragging a body.

Last edited:
I can only base this suggestion on 30 yrs Police Service in a very close location.
As soon as you get 'eyes on', and knowing that he shouldn't be there, dial 999.
A running commentary gives the Police the opportunity to deal with a situation
as it is happening.
He doesn't need to know you are there and if you have the opportunity to photograph
him, his vehicle etc then so much the better.
Definately call the Police............... (If its not reported, does that then mean that it isn't happening)
Unfortunately I didn't see the pics.
Alan

Well 6p it sounds like you sorted him out , he'll not be back nor any body else.
Word will soon gets around.

Well it seems that I have just lost a bet with myself that this post was a **** take.

Looks like its genuine and it really did happen. With reagrds to your above comment that you" have never reported anyone to the police. End of" Thats a pretty poor response normally obtained from the type of person who for reasons of credibility or social standing will have nothing to do with the police as they do not wish to be considered a grass.
They usually do, however, do at least something which sadly has not happened here.

Its also a pretty poor excuse to use the response time of the police as one of the reasons for not calling them. On looking at the photos, its during the day, a built up area and a reporter at locus. That would be normally be met with local units, ARVs and more than likely the helicopter as well when the word "firearm" was used when you phoned it in.

In my opinion its pretty poor when someone of your apparent standing reacted, or rather didn't react to this situation.

Even harder to understand is why then post on here for all to read.

Well, when I finally start stalking, I'll be bringing along a couple of very lightweight HD video cameras anyway, one I intend to wear unobtrusively, a button hole lens or similar, and another in a small bag with telephoto lens. More for me being able to relive the experience more than anything, although I won't be doing the posing next to the dead animal shot, I'm going to shoot for food, and the deerskin to recover my VW Seats, not really interested in trophy hunting, but each to their own.

I'm hoping to get just as much out of recording the countryside wildlife while waiting for the right beast and opportunity, so even if I get nothing, the time has already been usefully spent.

So if such a situation presents itself regarding poachers, I'll have already recorded or will be recording discreetly from a distance anyway, so wouldn't approach them at all, and most likely they would not know I was there, I'd linger long enough to get vehicle registrations and would ring the Landowner in the first instance, since they might be genuine, however, if necessary, the footage would be handed over to the Landowner, and made available to the Police.

Well, when I finally start stalking, I'll be bringing along a couple of very lightweight HD video cameras anyway, one I intend to wear unobtrusively, a button hole lens or similar, and another in a small bag with telephoto lens. More for me being able to relive the experience more than anything, although I won't be doing the posing next to the dead animal shot, I'm going to shoot for food, and the deerskin to recover my VW Seats, not really interested in trophy hunting, but each to their own.

now you've got to be f'ing kidding me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back