Poacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
call 999 yes I would the second I clocked a firearm and someone 'poaching' but is it that easy? Who's to say that once the police arrive and the guy was actually a deliberate poacher?, who's to say that when the landowner finds out he won't hit the barn roof and tell you to f'off cause his lands now going to get trashed? The 'right' thing might create more trouble than it's worth and see the loss of a stalking ground if played wrong.

It's easy to play the moral responsibility card but that's not our card to play in this one, we weren't there and it wasn't our call.

He did ask for opinions...

Well, when I finally start stalking, I'll be bringing along a couple of very lightweight HD video cameras anyway, one I intend to wear unobtrusively, a button hole lens or similar, and another in a small bag with telephoto lens. More for me being able to relive the experience more than anything, although I won't be doing the posing next to the dead animal shot, I'm going to shoot for food, and the deerskin to recover my VW Seats, not really interested in trophy hunting, but each to their own.

I'm hoping to get just as much out of recording the countryside wildlife while waiting for the right beast and opportunity, so even if I get nothing, the time has already been usefully spent.

So if such a situation presents itself regarding poachers, I'll have already recorded or will be recording discreetly from a distance anyway, so wouldn't approach them at all, and most likely they would not know I was there, I'd linger long enough to get vehicle registrations and would ring the Landowner in the first instance, since they might be genuine, however, if necessary, the footage would be handed over to the Landowner, and made available to the Police.

Ha ha ha ha don't be ****ing stupid

Caught this chap on my ground this morning no wounder we are not seeing deer anyway he has been warned off and i took the deer. Didnt want to call the cops as he didnt know we were on the ground .Did i do the right thing.

poachersmall.jpg

poacher.jpg

If you know him tell him hes a lucky man.!!!!!!!!!!

Many years ago We caught a guy of Irish origin that was lamping with a dog on our ground,
on flashing a torch at him and shouting he came running over to us , carrying a lamp attached to a large car battery under his arm and a few rabbits his dog had caught,
he apologised as he thought it was common land and thought he was helping to control the excess rabbit population
due to the fact he was not afraid to confront us and also not out of breath after trekking across the field carrying all that weight
led us to tell him he was not allowed to lamp here and should find somewhere else to go
he apologised and left no hassles
i can see your point
you were lucky you were just given the poached deer and not a good hiding
but hopefully point made but surprised you did not offer the guy a place in the DMG as he had done such a good job in reducing deer numbers:D

the guy would say that man pointed gun at me police would take your guns for a year and make you feel like a criminal the guy would get a slapped wrist
call me a cynic but I think you did the best you could
lister

Surely you don't need to go wading in. As said previously just call the police and keep you're distance.
I have caught people coursing before they knew who I was etc but what do we do just walk away and let them carry on ?

If someone caused future problems after being caught then the police would have a pretty good idea where to look.

If we all just let these a**eholes do as they like then the country will be a sorry place to be !

If someone caused future problems after being caught then the police would have a pretty good idea where to look.

!

I thought the same
even gave them a registration no and vehicle description also clear video footage
vehichle registered to a known campsite
no further action taken
i wonder why
can't trace the individual regardless of the crime
been there done that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back