Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No MOD

No MOD

Now this is me being a bit dense,but as my t8 mod weighs a ton.I was toying with trying to get my rifle back to basics.
    So is it possible to buy an open sight that threads over the barrel end as per mod.
    I am not even sure if this is possible,ballistics wise,barrel length,rifling,,etc.
    Any help/ideas,Tod..

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Now this is me being a bit dense,but as my t8 mod weighs a ton.I was toying with trying to get my rifle back to basics.
    So is it possible to buy an open sight that threads over the barrel end as per mod.
    I am not even sure if this is possible,ballistics wise,barrel length,rifling,,etc.
    Any help/ideas,Tod..
    I'm sure a competent gunsmith could do something.

Pete

Sounds like you want a thread protector with a blade on the top.

I would talk to Mat on here.

I have thought the same thing recently.
    I put rails on both my tikkas T3's for the same reason. But then I am going t use a reflex type sight. So I can just swap between scope and reflex.

I am planning on having the 3" I had chopped off one barrel rethreaded and used as a combined thread protector/brake/sight!

only tricky part is matching the mating surfaces so the blade is vertical and hoping that continued use does not cause the blade to clock past vertical as the surface/threads wear down.
    should take a long time to do that though

SD Regular
    On military rifles the thread on the REAR end of the barrel and on the inside of the receiver is always cut with the "start" in the exact same position. So that the top plane of the barrel which is cut or drilled for the sights to be attached will always align correctly. But even so it can be a few thousandths of an inch out and so usually aligns with witness marks on the receiver or using a level on the "knox's form".

But with a sporting rifle threaded for a moderator where the "start" of the thread has been made with no intent of ever having something screwed over it that must align to a thousandth of an in in a vertical plane...it is as other posters say. A slow and very frustrating, potentially, process where, in any case, that alignment may then change as that screw on sight is removed and replaced and removed and replaced.

Better as others say would be to just have a plain collar machined that is a simple plain of knurled collar (as used to come with P-Hale moderators) and set the "new" front sight back away from that. Mounting the front sight in the conventional way by two screw holes into the barrel.

OR IF YOU WANT GENUINE RETURN TO ZERO a sight with a banded base held in position with a Woodruff key and cross pin. As done, again, on many military rifles. However that will be difficult to find, I think, any sort of usual gunsmith who is competent to do that on both barrel and sight base and, indeed, who even knows what a Woodruff key is!

Could you not just have an invisible thread protector made, then have a few holes tapped behind this on the barrel and screw in a front sites? I had my sauer screw cut but on this the blade sits behind the screw cut bit, so I had an invisible one made so I can refit the sites.

As most seem to use the over barrel mods fitted fore sights cannot be used as of course the over barrel mod cannot go over them.

Now I had been considering this for that .280 AI project which is threaded at the muzzle but I wish to have iron sights on. So I was working on having a foresight on a sleeve to fo over the barrel located by a slot or ball seat and retained in place by a threaded sleeve. The slot or ballseat/dimple will locate the sight in the proper vertical plane and a brake or muzzle mounted mod could be used and by removing the fore sight and it's sleeve an over barrel mod could be used.

The sight sleeve would have to be fairly thin walled o the fore sight would be too high and the rear sight would need to be raised to compensate and then of course one must consider the scope when in use. Yes "back to basics" .................................... I know but on my rifle the intention was to be able to use a scope as well should I wish to and I was usign a Lyman 57 SME Sporting (hunting) Aperture sight. To this end i had keptt eh BSA Monarchs sweated (soldered) on fore sight ramp with the intention of soldering this to the sleeve.

This was just the way I was considering using but of course it's not the only way .

On some assualt rifles the reflex site is mounted over to the side and the gun simply tilted/canted to one side to switch between scope and reflex - saw it on "top guns" show!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    On some assualt rifles the reflex site is mounted over to the side and the gun simply tilted/canted to one side to switch between scope and reflex - saw it on "top guns" show!

Well I suppose that would work for spray and pray guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    As most seem to use the over barrel mods fitted fore sights cannot be used as of course the over barrel mod cannot go over them.

Now I had been considering this for that .280 AI project which is threaded at the muzzle but I wish to have iron sights on. So I was working on having a foresight on a sleeve to fo over the barrel located by a slot or ball seat and retained in place by a threaded sleeve. The slot or ballseat/dimple will locate the sight in the proper vertical plane and a brake or muzzle mounted mod could be used and by removing the fore sight and it's sleeve an over barrel mod could be used.

The sight sleeve would have to be fairly thin walled o the fore sight would be too high and the rear sight would need to be raised to compensate and then of course one must consider the scope when in use. Yes "back to basics" .................................... I know but on my rifle the intention was to be able to use a scope as well should I wish to and I was usign a Lyman 57 SME Sporting (hunting) Aperture sight. To this end i had keptt eh BSA Monarchs sweated (soldered) on fore sight ramp with the intention of soldering this to the sleeve.

This was just the way I was considering using but of course it's not the only way .
    I was wondering about this for the .375, I don't really feel the need for a mod, but it is bloody loud and whilst the kick is not too bad, the muzzle flip is pretty bad, but I want to be able to keep the open sights too......would be interested if you do do something like this, there are some great gunsmiths out there so surely someone must have tried this already.....?