cold weather masks

rob keeper

Have been looking at cold weather masks on the internet for sitting in seats . Does anyone use these or know of a good face mask.I find balacvars to be ichy and get damp when you breath.I hoping there must be something better on the market and ideas would be most apprechated.Cheers rob

I use a fleece snood that you can pull up over your nose and it has an adjustable elastic top. Doesnt interfere with your hat and you can pull it down and leave it round your neck when not required. You can get issues with fogging with anything that covers your face though.

I use a fleece snood that you can pull up over your nose and it has an adjustable elastic top. Doesnt interfere with your hat and you can pull it down and leave it round your neck when not required. You can get issues with fogging with anything that covers your face though.
cheers were is best place to get these

+1 for the fleece snood (eBay) though I've found they still make your scope fog up...

Ive found a head net with a beany hat and neck scarf is surprisingly warm and doesn't fog your scope

Pete

This time of year the camo snood is part of the standard kit. It makes a surprising difference in terms of heat retention. I used mine in Sweden last year and now wouldn't be without it.

Dom

Dom, I have the same piece of kit, do you find you get fogging up in your binos when glassing around? I sometimes have to pull it down slightly before using the binos, but hate having to move any more than I need too.

I'm a natural mouth breather and have been trying to exhale through my nose to see if this helps, and it improves things, but dont always remember...:doh:

Steve

I use custom made balaclavas that cover whole face but have openings for eyes, mouth, nose. Made of wool and include a liner made of some not so itchy material. So they don't directly capture the moisture from breath.

But I don't use them unless it's colder than -20C (and I sit maybe 4-8 hours on average). I suggest using warm clothing on your torso and especially warm watch cap (or few). This way your body don't "shut down" and continues to circulate warm blood to hands, feet etc. While not using a balaclava, you also have the option to quickly uncover your ears (and also cover them before getting cold). I prefer to hear as much as possible while using a high seat especially when it's cold and ground is frozen.

Back