Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hanging deer

hanging deer

hello gents what temperature and how long do you hang deer for out side what's the a good cover I don't have a larder many thanks pilgrim

I've never hung venison outside but irrespective I work on the 40C day maxim i.e 10 days at 4C or 4 days at 10C seems to work.

Ed

I generally find shooting them is more humane.

Kind regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1 View Post

Kind regards,

Tim
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Ikea do a net thing for going over a cot which you can put over the hook and keep flies off. I leave mine for a week or so outside, maybe 2 or 3 weeks in a chiller. Probably not a good idea to hang outside in the summer but fine at this time of year.

What type of deer? I hung a roe in my shed for a couple of days but then it's cold at the moment. I don't think that younger deer or the smaller ones need any more hanging than that. I've munched my way through most of it, so I can vouch that a couple of days in the shed is fine for a roe! I don't think I'd leave it more than 24 hours in the summer. This is assuming a normal sort of summer, not one like this year where it's cold and pouring with rain.

I have a small chiller so unless there is snow on the ground I do not hang them not in the chiller, got to be at least under 5 degrees c. In the summer I don't leave them outside at all straight in the chiller.

I'm lucky enough to have the space for a double door Lucozade fridge in the garage and everything goes in there at 5/6deg for 6-8 days. I really don't want to spoil the meat that I've worked hard for

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1 View Post

Kind regards,

Tim

I know this link relates to a chiller but if your outside temperature is similar it may be a beneficial read:

Coolgame UK Ltd