Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muntjac shoot on sight?

muntjac shoot on sight?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doe fawn muntjac.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	385.2 KB 
ID:	25907

Have been trying to get a couple of muntjac does this week.
    Problem being the three possible shots were
    half grown doe, a doe and young fawn , another doe and tiny fawn.
    so no shots at all, even got busted by a fox whilst climbing into high seat,
    but....lots of pheasants...too cold for squirrels, nice to get out.

​Wonder what FC would have done?

Yes, subject to best practise regarding females - ie, not thin with potential fawn at heel. All bucks no matter how big / small, are culled on sight regardless if I am out for roe / fallow.... and never at night while lamping....

Sad, but that is the landowners rules, not my management preference.....

Neil.

Depends whether you are under pressure to reduce the population or not doesn't it? In any case I hope the fc or anyone else don't risk orphaning young. What is half grown? Older than a year? If so that would be in the bag.

Nice picture, first one I have seen with both a muntjac doe and fawn together.

If I was doing it for pest control reasons I personally would have taken the youngsters, never mind if there's not much meat, they're still two less to breed in the future, and you don't have to worry about taking out the female with dependant young until the next time you see her.....

Account Suspended
    how lucky you are to have muntjac east lothian scotland none

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Depends whether you are under pressure to reduce the population or not doesn't it? In any case I hope the fc or anyone else don't risk orphaning young. What is half grown? Older than a year? If so that would be in the bag.
    interesting reply
    what is a dependant young in the the muntjac world ??
    what in your eyes is half grown out of interest..??

I guess suckling fawns would be dependent (most does stop giving milk at 2 months according to DI). As Does can conceive from around 7 months then I guess fawns are independent somewhere between 2 and 7 months old?

There are none in this scenario I wouldn't of shot. Half grown = less than 14 months old (7 months to reach sexual maturity, 7 months gestation) = doesn't have a dependent fawn, the other two does have thier fawns with them! Shoot the pair of them and you won't be orphaning anything. If you keep up this policy you'll never shoot a female Muntjac.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I guess suckling fawns would be dependent (most does stop giving milk at 2 months according to DI). As Does can conceive from around 7 months then I guess fawns are independent somewhere between 2 and 7 months old?
    Yes. The turnaround for muntjac is pretty quick. A doe can concieve as soon as 36 hours after giving birth and with a gestation of 7 months the young would have to fend for themselves by then. Is this what you mean by half grown badbob? Personally I would want to give them a bit longer than that if the population was at a manageable level.

If a fawn still has spots then it is probably under two months old and will still be suckling and fully dependant. They will still be learning the ropes for a while after this though.

I know muntjac populations are exploding in some regions but I think it should be a very last resort to be shooting fawns.