Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 barrel life

.308 barrel life

Just had a catch up with a chap who I've known since I was a nipper , his .308 needs a re barrel , since buying it 8 years ago he has put exactly 1460 rounds through it . They're factory federal 150grn , the same as I use . The rifles a sako . In all fairness he's only ever cleaned it with an oily pull through but surely that's way to quick to wear out ! Makes me concerned about my tikka !

why does it need a rebarrel ? in whose opinion? maybe it just needs a proper clean?

Apparently the rifling is worn

really? has it been cleaned and borescoped? 1500 rds seems too few rounds for a 308 ? mine is still ok with over double that?

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Just had a catch up with a chap who I've known since I was a nipper , his .308 needs a re barrel , since buying it 8 years ago he has put exactly 1460 rounds through it . They're factory federal 150grn , the same as I use . The rifles a sako . In all fairness he's only ever cleaned it with an oily pull through but surely that's way to quick to wear out ! Makes me concerned about my tikka !

Its very unlikely a 308 with 1500 rds down it needs rebarrel in fact of all the available caliber rifles the 308 win is one of the better if not the best for barrel longevity. For one to need a new barrel and a sako at that after 1500 rds no I personally can't see it why does he feel the need for such action ? is it not shooting accurately ? so many other things to consider first, give it a good clean then check scope/mounts/stock/moderator if fitted make sure everything is as it should be the try it out again.
    Last edited by dlz90; 15-03-2013 at 14:50.

+1 - I had mine re-barreled after over 15000 rounds... I'd give it a thorough clean with Wipe-out or C2R etc. If the OP is ever up near Riflecraft, take it in there - Bentley posted on here a while back that he cleans rifles to show how good their bore cleaner is!

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    Its very unlikely a 308 with 1500 rds down it needs rebarrel in fact of all the available caliber rifles the 308 win is one of the better if not the best for barrel longevity. For one to need a new barrel and a sako at that after 1500 rds no I personally can't see it why does he feel the need for such action ? is it not shooting accurately so ? many other things to consider first, give it a good clean then check scope/mounts/stock/moderator if fitted make sure everything is as it should be the try it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Who has advised him that it requires a new barrel?

I can only assume that he has noticed a dramatic loss of accuracy in which case I would be investigating a lot of other potential problems before looking at rebarreling.

Somebody is tugging his leg.

.308 perhaps the most durable calibre, after the .303.

Our club sporterised P14 shoots hundreds sometimes a thousand rounds every outing. I've been shooting it over 5 years, it wouldn't surprise me if it had seen 50,000 rounds in that time and it is still good for 1-2 MOA, with milsurp ammo, currently steel jacketed MEN, which is rather good. It was old when I joined the club, and the action, not the barrel, is soon to celebrate its 100th birthday. Frequently shot until you can burn your fingers on the barrel. Gets cleaned maybe once a year.

Get a second opinion.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 15-03-2013 at 16:53.

SD Regular
    Ah! Tis not the quantity of the rounds fired through but the FREQUENCY. And, of course, what the owner considers an acceptable size of group.

I reckon that I could burn out a 308 barrel with but, say, sixty to eighty rounds put through in maybe ten minutes if I wanted to and had a pair of asbestos gloves!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Ah! Tis not the quantity of the rounds fired through but the FREQUENCY. And, of course, what the owner considers an acceptable size of group.

I reckon that I could burn out a 308 barrel with but, say, sixty to eighty rounds put through in maybe ten minutes if I wanted to and had a pair of asbestos gloves!
    I doubt it. Not unusual scenario. E.g Mad Minute.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 15-03-2013 at 18:31.