Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar on your ticket!???

Boar on your ticket!???

I've just read this article on shooting UK where it says you can't shoot boar unless it specifically states boar on your licence... my licensing dept removed "boar" during my last variation and replaced it with AOLQ telling me that it covered Boar... SUK article sounds like total piffle to me...?

Wild boar shooting in the UK, Shooting wild boar | Home Feature | Shooting UK

"WILD BOAR ON YOUR FAC
    Wild boar do not come under the classification of 'game' or 'vermin'. Having these on your firearms certificate does not allow you to shoot wild boar legally.

In order to shoot wild boar in Britain your firearms certificate must specifically state 'wild boar'.

A certificate to shoot wild boar is only granted for .308 .270 and 30/06 calibre weapons."

p.s. I hope no one is using 300WM or 357 H&H on Boar as it's illegal apparently!!! Bwhahahaa!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I've just read this article on shooting UK where it says you can't shoot boar unless it specifically states boar on your licence... my licensing dept removed "boar" during my last variation and replaced it with AOLQ telling me that it covered Boar... SUK article sounds like total piffle to me...?

Wild boar shooting in the UK, Shooting wild boar | Home Feature | Shooting UK

"WILD BOAR ON YOUR FAC
    Wild boar do not come under the classification of 'game' or 'vermin'. Having these on your firearms certificate does not allow you to shoot wild boar legally.

In order to shoot wild boar in Britain your firearms certificate must specifically state 'wild boar'.

A certificate to shoot wild boar is only granted for .308 .270 and 30/06 calibre weapons."

p.s. I hope no one is using 300WM or 357 H&H on Boar as it's illegal apparently!!! Bwhahahaa!
    I have AOLQ for my 6.5x55 and was told by TVP that it covers boar...

Just left them a vmx to double check - has to be worth the price of a phone call

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Surely as Boar are legal quarry then AOLQ cover them.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Stewarty69 View Post
    Surely as Boar are legal quarry then AOLQ cover them.

Cheers
    Agreed, but I'm now thinking that it's only the case if the AOLQ is against a calibre deemed boar legal.

I have AOLQ on my .22lr, but I'm not going to shoot boar with it - ok, i appreciate that I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but you get my point on legal calibres

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Assuming things will get you in very hot water
    I took the time and expense and phoned my FSEL dept and they explained unless it is stated on you certificate you are not allowed to shoot boar other FSEL dept might deem its ok on AOLQ but lots simply don't allow it so make the phone call if in doubt they really are very nice people if you treat them with respect and behave civil but it would appear from some members recent post they would not know the meaning of the word.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

there isn't a legal boar caliber though only recommended, obviously common sense states you wouldn't shoot a decent size boar with anything too small but if you had AOLQ and a young boar I can't see anything legally would stop you using what you wanted. It might be pushing the essence of the condition a little but not a lot they could do about it. In the US its surprising how many pigs are shot with .223 and similar

Quote Originally Posted by al4x1 View Post
    there isn't a legal boar caliber though only recommended, obviously common sense states you wouldn't shoot a decent size boar with anything too small but if you had AOLQ and a young boar I can't see anything legally would stop you using what you wanted. It might be pushing the essence of the condition a little but not a lot they could do about it. In the US its surprising how many pigs are shot with .223 and similar
    +1... and if a .22lr can take down a polar bear...

Right, had a quick return call from my FEO who confirmed that I'm ok with boar with the AOLQ on my 6.5x55...

I mentioned the Home Office document, stating .270 min, and the response was "it's only a guideline".

Boar have not got too huge in this country (yet), so if going overseas to get onto them, I'd hire something much bigger anyway, so I'm perfectly happy that I've covered myself.

Always worth the call to be sure...

Cheers
    iain
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 15-03-2013 at 16:05.

I picked up some ground with Boar on it and then had to have my ticket for my 308 made up for boar.

SD Regular
    More bu11shit from a magazine that is frequently full of it.

What exactly do the words "deer and ANY OTHER lawful quarry" mean? Another self-styled "expert" getting in print more misinformation with little or no understanding of the law.

Is this the same magazine that carried the article about the guy going wild boar shooting in France and...wait for it...RECOMMENDING taking a 308 Winchester chambered rifle?