Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22-243 Middlestead, Ultimate For Fox?

.22-243 Middlestead, Ultimate For Fox?

Anyone on here any experience with this chambering?

I have read a few threads about ultimate foxing set ups, .204, .20 TAC, 22-250 plus a few others. But when you look at the following figures, and especially when they still produce good accuracy this would appear to me to be about the ultimate based on figures alone. I would guess they are a bit harder on barrels though. I would also guess that the case prep would put some off.

Here is just one example but there are lots on the web.

I have a 243 that I may re-barrel at some point as a dedicated fox rifle and have to say that this is drawing me...

LoadID 1137
    Bullet Berger HP MEF
    BulletWeight 30 grs
    Powder Vihtavuori N135
    PowderWeight 47 grs
    Primer Federal 210
    Brass Make Winchester
    Barrel Length (inches)
    C.O.L (inches)
    Velocity 5145 fps
    Group 0.415 (inches by 3 shot at 100 yds)

Would a 30 grain berger even stand up to those speeds. Poor bc from a bullet of this weight.
    Barrel like would be 700 to 800 rounds if that. A lad I know from up Staffordshire why said a shooting friend of his has one. It is very accurate but at what barrel costs. For doing something any 22 cf can do for normal foxing ranges

With reamer and die cost it would become expensive thats for sure. Good fun tho I bet on crows etc

Would be great pushing. The 75 and 80 grain 22cf bullets.
    Last edited by jay 22; 15-03-2013 at 19:14.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I think a 30 grain bullet doing that speed will run the life out of the barrel very fast, i would say more like 600 rounds,

as jay has said plenty of others out ther with a longer life than that with factory ammo too.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    Would a 30 grain berger even stand up to those speeds. Poor bc from a bullet of this weight.
    Barrel like would be 700 to 800 rounds if that. A lad I know from up Staffordshire why said a shooting friend of his has one. It is very accurate but at what barrel costs. For doing something any 22 cf can do for normal foxing ranges

With reamer and die cost it would become expensive thats for sure. Good fun tho I bet on crows etc

Would be great pushing. The 75 and 80 grain 22cf bullets.
    Out to 250yds the BC of a bullet would be of no concern to me to be honest...

The BC of a 70grn+ is surely only needed for extended range shooting. Which is really for targets, not foxes.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    I think a 30 grain bullet doing that speed will run the life out of the barrel very fast, i would say more like 600 rounds,

as jay has said plenty of others out ther with a longer life than that with factory ammo too.

bob.
    Barrels don't suddenly become un-shootable at a set round count. Anything I have read on the subject suggests that the extreme accuracy begins to drop off but only noticeable on paper, it may take the same number of rounds again or more before consideration may have to be given to re barreling.

Even at 1000 round count, that is still several years of foxing...

Not looking for an argument , but I don't buy into the BC or short life worries for stalking/foxing applications.

Did a bit more looking since I put this up, and the 22-250AI is about as fast, good accuracy and less hassle in case prep...

Don't see the point in the 30 gr bullet and hyper speed.

i would rather have a 75 gr A-Max at 3250 from a 22/250 and a fast twist barrel. Why limit yourself to 250 yards? 400 is a chip shot with the right rifle and glass.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

If its going to be a dedicated fox rifle, then I think it matters not. even with a limited barrel life I doubt that the average foxer would burn out a barrel.
    Use ball powders and you can extend the life of a barrel quite considerably..

Is a 30gr 5k fps any better than a better in any scenario than a 85gr 3200fps alternative?

Ha ha no no no, my .308 is nearer the ultimate foxing round because:

It has far superior stability in flight
    Is far more capable of resisting the stuff that 'blows' bullets up
    It can hit the fox anywhere 'solid' and kill it with authority
    It's a mans calibre
    And when it goes bang.... it means it with venom

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Is a 30gr 5k fps any better than a better in any scenario than a 85gr 3200fps alternative?
    Not that I can think off, assuming the 30gr is a 224 and the 85gr is 6mm.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......